Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Poor condition British slouch hat

Article about: Hi, trying to get this British slouch hat. Its in poor condition, the sweat band is loose and it seems there are no marking on press stud. Cheers Nuno

Default Poor condition British slouch hat

Hi, trying to get this British slouch hat.
    Its in poor condition, the sweat band is loose and it seems there are no marking on press stud.
    Cheers
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Poor condition British slouch hat   Poor condition British slouch hat  

Poor condition British slouch hat   Poor condition British slouch hat  

Poor condition British slouch hat  

Default Re: Poor condition British slouch hat

The liner looks to have been sewn back in and the shiny press stud for the flap does not look the same as the WWII examples I am familiar with, though that might not mean anything. Obviously it had a badge at some stage which is a good sign. The grommets are missing which is a shame, but alright if the price stays low.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The liner looks to have been sewn back in and the shiny press stud for the flap does not look the same as the WWII examples I am familiar with, though that might not mean anything. Obviously it had a badge at some stage which is a good sign. The grommets are missing which is a shame, but alright if the price stays low.
    Spot on Jerry, as usual.
    The press stud seems a replacement and has indeed had a badge.
    Im trying to get it as cheap as possible, to make it worth while.

He only bought it recently and by a strange co incidence I wonder if he outbid another forum member on this lot, though the member did not bid and it went for £20. As mentioned in the other thread on slouch hats you started recently.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/discu...is-one-303983/

WW2 british miltary kit items | eBay
    Regards,

Jerry

He only bought it recently and by a strange co incidence I wonder if he outbid another forum member on this lot. As mentioned in the other thread on slouch hats you started recently.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/discu...is-one-303983/

WW2 british miltary kit items | eBay
    Its the same hat.....

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Its the same hat.....
    Indeed, he is already in profit and the original seller must be kicking himself if he knows!
    Regards,

Jerry

Indeed, he is already in profit and the original seller must be kicking himself if he knows!
    Yea, i im sure he would.
    I got it, but is seems everyone started bidding on it at the end, so it did not end as cheap as i hoped.

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Yea, i im sure he would.
    I got it, but is seems everyone started bidding on it at the end, so it did not end as cheap as i hoped.
    Yeh, I saw what you paid for it, though if your happy.

If it is an original WWII British made example it should be dated on the sweat band unless the one in it is not the original.

Steaming it should help restore the shape I think, rather than soaking it in water as the seller suggested.
    Regards,

Jerry

Yeh, I saw what you paid for it, though if your happy.

If it is an original WWII British made example it should be dated on the sweat band unless the one in it is not the original.

Steaming it should help restore the shape I think, rather than soaking it in water as the seller suggested.
    A boiler with hot water? Would the steam from it be enough to restore the shape?
    Anyway, the sweatband is not original to the hat and this one was re sewn further inside, instead of the correct place, as you already stated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Poor condition British slouch hat   Poor condition British slouch hat  

?

Nice slouch hat Nuno it will make a great display piece
    As to steaming please keep us informed how it works out I have had good luck with soaking mine in water and reshaping them on a glass head.

Regards Mark K