Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RAF Maroon beret?

Article about: As the title says, I want to know, does RAF ever uses Maroon beret? I found someone posted this https://www.etsy.com/listing/6300979...hat-badge-1943 If they do, could you guys upload the pi

Default RAF Maroon beret?

As the title says, I want to know, does RAF ever uses Maroon beret? I found someone posted this
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/6300979...hat-badge-1943

If they do, could you guys upload the pic maybe? thanks

Here you go. For future reference though, its really simple to use the forum uploader. Just save the images to your computer then click on the pictures upload button when it comes to submitting your post.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Maroon beret?   RAF Maroon beret?  

RAF Maroon beret?   RAF Maroon beret?  

sorry about that.
    back to topic though: Is it historically correct that the RAF badge were used with Maroon beret?

as far as I know they were used with dark blue beret such as this one:
    RAF Maroon beret?
    Last edited by IDN Narod; 11-24-2014 at 05:24 AM.

The maroon beret is not to my knowledge used with the RAF badge

PS Please refrain from the use of text speak! I got your meaning but there is no need here to abbreviate your words to such as there is no word limit on your posts.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The maroon beret is not to my knowledge used with the RAF badge

PS Please refrain from the use of text speak! I got your meaning but there is no need here to abbreviate your words to such as there is no word limit on your posts.
    Hi, I have never heard of the RAF wearing the maroon beret either, so I guess someone just added that badge to it. On the issue of "text language", it also makes it very difficult for our members whose first language is not English. We are pretty multi-cultural on here so abbreviations will mostly mean very little to them. With that in mind please try and keep to the Queens English. Leon.

Thank you for the answer
    I'm sorry for the second time. It's because I think slang(abbreviation) was frequently used on other forums, I thought it was alright to use it in here...

Cheers.

Actually, the RAF DID wear the Red Beret. Worn by a very small unit of Radar operators landed at Arnhem by Glider.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Actually, the RAF DID wear the Red Beret. Worn by a very small unit of Radar operators landed at Arnhem by Glider.

Cheers, Ade.
    Quite correct Ade, it has been and is still the norm for "attached personnel" in airborne units of the British Army. For a time it was fairly jealously insisted that only those who had passed para-selection and earned their "wings" would qualify for the honour but certainly early in the history of the maroon beret and moreso today everyone in such a unit including those who are not parachutists (there will allways be some) wore / wears it. As well as the radar operators mentioned by Ade, Forward Air Controllers or Ground Liaison are possibilities. The badge used here is an "Other ranks" badge but with a kings crown and made of brass it is right for the period. To answer the original question it's a "definate maybe" so, yes or no for all the reasons above. It depends on provenance or what the collector chooses to believe

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    PS It is just as likely that being of a different service (ie the RAF) and for the same reasons of pride that make the maroon beret so coveted that the airmen concerned might resist quite strenuously in favour of their own Air Force Blue berets!

Happy to learn something new. I knew it was common for para berets to have badges other than the para badge on them, RAMC, RA, RE etc but I had not known that they were ever worn with the RAF badge.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Happy to learn something new. I knew it was common for para berets to have badges other than the para badge on them, RAMC, RA, RE etc but I had not known that they were ever worn with the RAF badge.
    Yep, I have personal knowledge of an RAF officer posted to Depot Para (can't truly remember his role but I think it was liaison) in the mid '70's who wore a maroon beret with his embroidered officers cap badge.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast