Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

RAF Maroon beret?

Article about: As the title says, I want to know, does RAF ever uses Maroon beret? I found someone posted this https://www.etsy.com/listing/6300979...hat-badge-1943 If they do, could you guys upload the pi

Hi, Thirty years in the RAF and I have never seen an RAF badge on a a red beret! Nor on any other Army head dress for that matter. That said, whilst in the Falklands running a forward operating base (FOB) and helicopter refueling point at Goose Green with the Royal Scots, I did see attached Army personnel wearing the tam o shanta (is that how you spell it?) but with their own cap badges. I was tempted to try it myself but as I was not actually attched to the regiment, decided aaginst it. Dress Regulation for the Royal Air Force specifically preclude the mixiing and wearing of "other services" insignia and uniform etc. without specific MOD (UK) Air authority. That said, if an Army unit or field commander wanted all attached personnel, to include RAF, to wear a specific item of dress or insignia then I guess that it would happen. In several publications, I have seen RAF personnel weraing un official combinations. For example, an RAF Regiment senior officer wearing a US Army Div patch on his BD jacket sleave and an Army full colonel wearing both army BD and insignia but also wearing an RAF Observer brevet and RAF Regiment mudguards. So, in my 30 years I did not actually see anyone wearing a red, or indeed, any other colour beret, it would not come as any surprise to hear that it did happen and will probably happen again in the future. Better keep this secret or we may see a flurry of "Rare RAF Para Berets" on E Bay!!
    Cheers Michael R

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi, Thirty years in the RAF and I have never seen an RAF badge on a a red beret! Nor on any other Army head dress for that matter. That said, whilst in the Falklands running a forward operating base (FOB) and helicopter refueling point at Goose Green with the Royal Scots, I did see attached Army personnel wearing the tam o shanta (is that how you spell it?) but with their own cap badges. I was tempted to try it myself but as I was not actually attched to the regiment, decided aaginst it. Dress Regulation for the Royal Air Force specifically preclude the mixiing and wearing of "other services" insignia and uniform etc. without specific MOD (UK) Air authority. That said, if an Army unit or field commander wanted all attached personnel, to include RAF, to wear a specific item of dress or insignia then I guess that it would happen. In several publications, I have seen RAF personnel weraing un official combinations. For example, an RAF Regiment senior officer wearing a US Army Div patch on his BD jacket sleave and an Army full colonel wearing both army BD and insignia but also wearing an RAF Observer brevet and RAF Regiment mudguards. So, in my 30 years I did not actually see anyone wearing a red, or indeed, any other colour beret, it would not come as any surprise to hear that it did happen and will probably happen again in the future. Better keep this secret or we may see a flurry of "Rare RAF Para Berets" on E Bay!!
    Cheers Michael R
    Equally correct, in a nutshell; regs preclude it but it happens. So, unofficial, semi-official or downright maverick practice and as I say, provenance and the conviction of the collector feature here. You might be right about ebay though!

Mark
    PS The Jocks (that's the Scots military equivalent of "Tom" for a Pte soldier in an inf regt) call it the TOS anyone calling it Tam O'Shanter will be treated with laconic Scots disdain and that really does sting!!!

Well, I learned many things today. Thanks guys

Cheers.

EDIT
    by the way, I found this photo of RAF Regiment in far east (Java Island). If only there is an information about this picture or the colored version.....
    RAF Maroon beret?
    Last edited by IDN Narod; 11-24-2014 at 04:00 PM.

?

I am aware of an RAF Comms unit that was initially Commando trained prior to D Day and who were given the Green beret at the completion of training , they were to be involved in supporting the American Rangers at Pointe du Hoc but eventually landed on the 6th on Omaha Beach itself.

There role was to provide the comms support etc between the Americans and the the RAF Squadrons of the 2nd TAF . 12 men were in the unit and 6 were KIA !!

?

Parachutists of the RAF Levies Iraq wore a maroon beret, but with their own cap badge.

RAF Maroon beret?

?

I ussually would not dream kick up an old topic but this time I had to react. Specially when I am one of those persons who only read and never write on this forum.
    After the huge losses of the Glider pilot regiment at Arnhem RAF pilots (NCO and officers) were attached to this regiment. These men wore the airborne uniform but were allowed to wear their own RAF badges , rank. It seams that many of them wore the red beret but in accordance to their rank with a RAF NCO /officers capbadge. On their battle dress/ smock they wore the RAF issued rank badges.

The RAF Regiment currently attached to 5 Airborne Brigade all wear RAF cap badges with maroon berets as do any other teeth arm regiments. As some guys have stated prior I know that during the Arnhem assault the forward air controllers wore maroon berets also.
    Ben

This was No 2 Sqn RAF Regiment, formerly the 2nd Armoured Car company RAF Regiment

- - ------- - -

Quote by LucN View Post
    Parachutists of the RAF Levies Iraq wore a maroon beret, but with their own cap badge.

RAF Maroon beret?
    This was No 2 Sqn RAF Regiment, formerly the 2nd Armoured Car company RAF Regiment
    Ben

Wow, learn't something today ! I was always under the impression that 'all maroon beret wearers' had completed P Company.
    Regards
    Paul

Beat me to it Ben!
    "Per Ardua"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast