Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

RAF Officers cap/ WW2?

Article about: Hello gentlemen ,another rare visit into the allied area for me! Could you learned friends please give me your opinions on this nice RAF Officers cap that I just bought off of fleabay. I thi

Default RAF Officers cap/ WW2?

Hello gentlemen ,another rare visit into the allied area for me! Could you learned friends please give me your opinions on this nice RAF Officers cap that I just bought off of fleabay. I think it is a good WW2 period cap in nice order , the only thing that looks a bit different to others that I have seen is the peaks underside is black, not green?? Still I am no expert on these and it does look good in all other respects to me , maybe it was just the colour that this tailor used?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Officers cap/ WW2?   RAF Officers cap/ WW2?  

RAF Officers cap/ WW2?   RAF Officers cap/ WW2?  

RAF Officers cap/ WW2?  

Hi Leon could be wartime or postwar its hard to tell on these unless named and dated ,still a nice cap

Hi Kradman , thanks for that , I kind of guessed that may be the case as these pieces are all tailor made. I guess at worst case scenario if this is not WW2 period it would have been an WW2 flyers replacement cap as the RAF did not recruit many new pilots after the war as they had to many for peace time operations anyway. Also as we all know , the Queen was head of state from 1952 , so there's not much of a window. Leon.

Oh I forgot to add that the "plastic" head/crown cover is a removable disc and not fitted to the cap itself? Thanks ,Leon.

Hi, Bang on and dead right in my humble opinion. Most RAF caps have green underside visors but yes, some have black. Bear in mind that your cap was manufactured as a private purchase item and not a Government issued item, Externaly, uniform items had to conform to a "Standard Pattern" however, internally the caps have many variations eg labels, liners and colours etc. You have a nice period cap in nice condition which would be very welcome in my collection if it were to become available!!!!
    Cheers MR

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi, Bang on and dead right in my humble opinion. Most RAF caps have green underside visors but yes, some have black. Bear in mind that your cap was manufactured as a private purchase item and not a Government issued item, Externaly, uniform items had to conform to a "Standard Pattern" however, internally the caps have many variations eg labels, liners and colours etc. You have a nice period cap in nice condition which would be very welcome in my collection if it were to become available!!!!
    Cheers MR
    Thank you very much Michael for your insight and kind words ,very much appreciated, Leon.

?

Chin strap also makes me think it is postwar, it looks very similar to may that I have seen from the 50s

I have been doing a bit of "digging" and the last reference to the company still operating in London I can find is in 1954. After that the there is no reference and the company "name" was merged in 1962 with Christies hat makers. At no point in Battersbys adverts or history is there any reference to being military contract tailors so this one is defiantly a bespoke private purchase cap. Leon.

I wouldn't be bothered if it was 50s things from that time will eventually become a little more collectible.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Quote by gel65 View Post
    Chin strap also makes me think it is postwar, it looks very similar to may that I have seen from the 50s
    Hi Gel , the chinstrap is nothing unusual for either wartime or post war private purchase examples ,just standard polished leather of the right dimensions, if it were it would make our lives much easier!! I think I am going to just have to accept that I will never know for sure but it does not show any traits that single it out as not being a possible WW2 period piece. I guess the lesson is that if you want to be sure about a time period buy a Government issued item, but that's not as much fun!! Cheers ,Leon.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast