Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Royal Artillery peaked cap wartime/postwar?

Article about: I've just spotted Matt's thread so most likely now know the answer,but I'm posting this anyway,has staybrite buttons,here it is thanks in advance...................

As mentioned above, Sd caps if they have a nmakers label in them will sometimes say by appointment to a particual monarch, in this case it will say to QEII. Some do not so you have to look at other factors, with the peak often being a good way of roughly dating a cap, the shape, the colour and what is under the peak often is quite useful, with fabric the same as on top usually dating from after the start of WWII, earlier caps mostly have different type of fabric and colour of green under than they do on top. The badges and buttons or more precisely the form of crown on them ie king or queens crown usually gives you a pre or post 1953 date, and sometimes the design changes as the regiment or corps changes its name or gets amalgamated, with for instance the ASC becoming the RASC in circa 1919 so the badges and buttons change and the same applies to many regiment such as the Welsh becoming the Royal Regiment of Wales in 1969 so any cap with the Welsh on the badge and buttons should pre date 1969, also the REME changed badges quite quickly in 42 and then again in 47 and then changed crowns in 53 etc..... Another factor is the type of lining or other makers details that change over time and a good one that Oli shows in his book is the Crown welt seam which is no longer used after 1970. As with any militaria, they might at first glance all look the same, but studying them can give a lot of clues to dating them and hopefully make them more interesting to look at and to collect.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Great info Jerry,you certainly know your Brit cloth headgear Bud,many thanks.............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Great info Jerry,you certainly know your Brit cloth headgear Bud,many thanks.............
    Thanks Jake. Also to add that with some of my caps the makers were known to have only been in business between certain dates, in one case they went out of business in 1917 and in another they only made caps during WWII. Obviously as already mentioned, AA/Staybright should mean post very late 1940's and mostly post 1953. There are lots of clues out there to aid in dating, a bit of research which is fun and asking others as well to be sure of your conclusions.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I've had a look at the sticky thread but still can't identify this button,hopefully someone can put me straight..........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Artillery peaked cap wartime/postwar?  

This is the General Service button. The most common one out there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

WWII era RA officer's service dress cap sold on Ebay yesterday for roughly $ 181. I thought that was excessively high.

BobS

Sounds a bit rich to me too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Im only after an enlisted ww2 RA example as a tribute to my grandfather who reached his 100th Birthday on the 14th of this month,he recieved his call up papers in 1940 and enlisted in the RA but was kept home as a AA Bofors gunner stationed at the isle of sheppey,just thought it would be a nice thing to have as each passing day we still have him is a real bonus,if anyone has a link or looking to part,please contact me,many thanks.................

hi jake as promisedRoyal Artillery peaked cap wartime/postwar?

jake thank you for sharing the news of your grandfather's centenary ,a huge achievement and lovely to still have him with you and your family ,ill raise a glass to him

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast