Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps

Article about: Hi again, A few more of various time periods. Hope they are of interest. Cheers MR

?

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsAlmost forgot to post this cap, a WWII era service dress cap for a 7th Hussars officer.

BobS

I notice it has a been a long time since this thread had any additions.

Here are some of mine that I have picked up since the last post, they are Ox & Bucks Light infantry (late 1930's), Queens Royal Regiment (West Surrey) (1953-59), Welch regiment (WWII), Royal Scots Greys (1950's).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps   Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps  

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps   Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

And another I had not added here.

A WWI staff officers SD cap with red band and GS embroidered badge and named to Viscount Tredegar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps   Royal Art'y & other Service Dress caps  

Regards,

Jerry

Latest pick up. WWI or Interwars SD cap with red band for staff officer. An unusual example with the red band being in very poor condition in comparison with the cap and it looks to perhaps have been replaced on it, having a poor tack stitch up one side and the badge held on in the same manner, though there were signs that it had been glued to the cap at some stage with glue marks having red in them and also red "dust" and fabric particles adhering to it. In fact in looking at it and handling it, it split at the back so I have now left it off whilst I decide what to do. I wonder if the owner had been a staff officer in WWI and had kept his hat band and since his demise a family member or other "helpful" person has put the old band on his interwars/WWII cap! I guess this aspect of it will remain a mystery.

It is the stiff form of cap, with a metal wire inside the crown and also a thin metal strip in the front to keep it upright. This form of SD cap tends to have gone out of use by the start of WWII -I have a few others of similar form and with the same features- and the crown has been lined with brown paper, its very dirty showing signs it was there along time and a bit grubby and also "named" EATON, Aylsebury. The seller seemed to think he had served with the Home Guard in WWII, but this was not proven. It has the very narrow WWI type officers chinstrap with diamond shaped sliders which are riveted, the latter feature being uncommonly seen.

It came with black officers pips on red backing which I think is for rifle infantry?

Sadly it has no makers mark inside it, I even carefully removed the brown paper to look in the crown before replacing it, though there is a paper size label in inches.

All in all a nice cap with some research needed on it to if possible work out exactly what its history was.

Regards,

Jerry

Some pix that I took, in different light and without the damaged red band

Regards,

Jerry

Two recent additions. They both came out from a closed down private museum in the US. They were very sensibly priced, though I had to reapply the badges and the butons on one of them. Both badges were lose, one more so than the other and both buttons were off on one of them. One has GS buttons and the other RASC, both with Kings crown to match the badges.

Both caps have the former owners name inside them, that is the guy who donated them to the museum as he was also on the board of the museum, however one of them also have its original owners name inside as well but it is not legible.

Both have the same linings and have felt buffers sewn inside the sweatband so it is possible that they came from the same makers and both originally belonged to the same officer, though this is speculation as both might have been pimped.

They were very sensibly priced and I paid less for the pair than just one of the badges would be worth, so a good deal even if they have been messed with. Interestingly the one cap is in apoorer condition which is matched by the insignia, suggesting that if pimped, it was done a while back.

Whatever the case, they display very well as both are all original, even if perhaps they did not start life all together!

Regards,

Jerry

Some very nice caps Jerry even if they didn't start life like that, thanks for posting them.

Matt

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Some very nice caps Jerry even if they didn't start life like that, thanks for posting them.

Matt
    Thanks Matt.

there is no evidence that they have been pimped, in fact the opposite as when I removed the red bands to re stitch the loose badges there were no holes present from any badges ever having been fitted to the cap body, so they both started life as at least staff officer grade caps.

Some new pics including the underneath.

Regards,

Jerry

?

Default ww1 General McKracken's hat

Though I would put my two caps on this forum as seems to be the correct place. Anyway here's the first one - ww1 1918 dated Generals visor cap named to a General McKracken. Its a great looking cap and the makers lapel is still present and is a great looker.

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress caps

?

Default ww2 Staff officers cap

Here's the second my ww2 Staff officers cap with GVIR brass side buttons. Sadly the peak has been bent in two but still has a great look I think. Made by Herbert Johnson and a nice bullion badge.

Royal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress capsRoyal Art'y & other Service Dress caps

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast