Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Article about: Hi As a follow up and sister thread to my previous threads on caps and hats of the British Army and of the Royal Air Force, I thought that it would be fitting to show some Royal Navy (RN) he

Thirdly a WW2 type Petty Officers cap with removable white cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy Caps and Hats   Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Forth, a WW2 ratings cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy Caps and Hats   Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

And finally a WW2 type tropical ratings cap, part of a complete uniform to Stoker J Labrum who served 1943-1950. Ratings caps made after September 45 are oval shaped, but the wartime round caps like this one continued to be issued for some years as stocks were used up.

It is interesting to note that the ribbon bow has been separately stitched on, (unlike the blue cap I have shown where the bow and ribbon are all the same ribbon) and has deteriorated to a much greater extent than the rest of the ribbon.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Hi Douglas, Nice to hear from you again. As with everything that you show, presentation and condition are brilliant!! Judging by the lining, I would be inclined to suggest that your blue post 45 CPO's cap may be earlier??? But that is just a thought on my behalf. In any event all lovely caps!!!

Thank you for supporting this thread, it is great to see what floats other people's boats!!!

Cheers and in case we do not communicate again for a while, here's wishing you and your family a happy and peaceful Christmas. Michael.

Hi, Some Senior Officers caps to view

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 282 Current pattern private purchase SO cap named to Cdr FE Marks and supplied by Saunders and Brightman of Luton.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 280 Earl post 1953 SO cap supplied by Gieves and bearing the Royal Appointment logo. The cap is pre Gieves and Hawks and probably pre HRH Prince Charles' Appointment as the Prince of Wales.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 311 A Nice early Christies supplied SO cap. The cap is named to GRB Pattison and has a War Economy metal cap badge.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 279 Current Admiralty issued SO cap badges for a Commander or Captain of the Queen Alexandra's RN Nursing Service (QARNNS). The current Director of RN Nursing Services has been reduced from a 1 star rank to a Captain

I just picked up this cap in Germany but haven't really collected many RN items until recently. I found this excellent thread and have learned a lot from the many examples posted. I thought I should bring it back to life to see if any knowledgeable collectors could offer opinions on my recent acquisition.

From what I've discovered, this is a fairly standard RN officers' cap for commanders, captains and commodores. I've been a little puzzled by the gold anchor, buttons and gold-painted buckles on the chinstrap. They are not made of brass; they seem to be black buckles with a coat of gold paint on the surface. The leather sweat band has a strip of burgundy coloured cloth fixed over it. Is there any way to date this cap from the design of the Gieves label? It doesn't quite match the many other examples shown here.

The label is named to Turtle. After a bit of basic research on the London Gazette site (great resource), the only obvious former owner seems to be Surgeon-Lt. Commander (later Surgeon-Captain) Peter de Bec Turtle, RNVR. Other than the usual promotions and a brief obituary from 1983, I haven't found out much more about him. He seems to have served during WW2 and after but I haven't found out whether he served between the wars. Does anyone have any further avenues for research? With such an unusual name, there may be more history out there.

Thanks, Matthew

Royal Navy Caps and Hats   Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

I'm just adding a recent acquisition - a named and nicely worn Petty Officer's cap with white cover. The crown of the cap is well padded, the lining has circular stitching (sorry about the lighting in the images) and a cane stiffening band. It has just the right amount of wear for me - signs of long service use, plenty of character but still strong and complete.

Can anyone hazard a guess at the age of the cap? It seems inter-war or early-WW2 to me. The family member who was selling it said their relative had served during WW2 but didn't know whether they were in the RN before this. Any guesses would be appreciated.

Matthew

It strikes me as a typical wartime cap. A very nice example.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6