Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal navy visor for review

Article about: Hi! This one is currently listed as HMS submarine commander cap (officer). I am not into RN stuff but know that the insignia is for petty officer, though. What do you think about the rest of

Default Royal navy visor for review

Hi!

This one is currently listed as HMS submarine commander cap (officer).
    I am not into RN stuff but know that the insignia is for petty officer, though.
    What do you think about the rest of the cap? Now it's on 80 GBP which is pretty high.

Thanks to anyone who helps!

Andjelo
    Croatia
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal navy visor for review   Royal navy visor for review  

Royal navy visor for review   Royal navy visor for review  

Royal navy visor for review   Royal navy visor for review  

Not an officers cap at all, the peak should have oakleaves or whatever on it, not plain like this, OR's cap or PO's as you mention assuming the badge has not been changed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Yes, it's a chief petty officer's cap, and the last time I looked, HM's submarines were not commanded by this rank.
    Perhaps the dealer, to be kind, is confusing all naval white top caps with U-boat commanders!
    Actually, RN officers through the rank of lieut. commander have plain peaks; commanders & captains one row of bullion oakleaves & admirals two rows.

BobS

?

It's a Petty Offiver's cap, not a Chief Petty Officer's cap.

It is impossible to tell if this came from a genuine Submariner without provenance as the Royal Navy did not make any distinguishing features for Submariner POs, CPOs or Officers, on their headwear.

As to whether or not is a genuine period cap, I would like a more detailed shot of the liner before commenting but it certainly IS 'of an age'.

?

This could be a PO cap or ERAs as they wore the same cap badge. Like Poland says, unless it is named to an NCO who served aboard a submarine then it could be from anywhere.

The cap does look wartime and the badge would date it to around late war. The white cover certainly looks correct. I would be happy with this, although not the story.