Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Royal Tank Regt black beret

Article about: yep il go with that how many squeeks do i ow you now??? you could not get better proof than that Ade , cheers ian

?

Default Re: The Royal Tank Regt black beret

Kangol where still making British army beret's into the 1980's.
    My first issued, (dark blue), one was made by them.
    We changed to khaki in 1982/3, (still got it), unfortunately, I cant make out the manufacturers name in that one........too well worn!!

PS: Kangol also made motorcycle helmets, I had one for years!

Kangol were still producing from a unit in Woodston, Peterborough until a few years ago. My first dark blue beret back in 1972 was Kangol, as were those that followed, through to the end of 79. They all seemed to have fairly recent dates, originally leather bands, but then plastic, but I managed to avoid the ones with cloth riband bands. I have a 1976 issued one somewhere, Kangol I think, which saw me through from that year I think until 79.

Quote by leigh kitchen View Post
    I've known infantrymen during the 1970's to wear a black tanky beret instead of infantry dark blue, just from unauthorised preference
    Could be that your North Staffs man wore the old black beret (there are still tons of 1944 dated black berets around nowadays in preference to dark blue?
    Hi Leigh, possible post war use is plausable, but it came with his ribbon bar and RAC arm of service strips. All I can suggest is he was once or later a member of the Regt and stuck his badge on the beret.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade the WWII raised 9th Bn became 154 Regt RAC in late 1941, could he have been that unit?

I've just checked "Cap Badges of The British Army 1939 - 45" by GLD Alderton, published by Spellmount, 2007 - he says that the 9th North Staffs adopted the RAC badge..........
    Last edited by leigh kitchen; 02-17-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Hi Leigh, thanks that could well be the explanation.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Mine is a small one dated 1944, it came with a 1942 dated P'37 BD blouse badged to a Cpl with the RAC in the XIV army.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Royal Tank Regt black beret  

Hi Luc, nice

I cannot remember seeing the blouse before when I was over at your home? Is that a new one? I would love to see more. There cannot have been a huge amount of Armoured units in the 14th Army?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade, it was delivered yesterday.

I haven't yet taken the time to research the history of the RAC in Burma, but now that you mention it a tank seems unfit for jungle warfare.

ian
    ?

well as far as i know " " the RAC shoulder titles were never afiliated to any unit
    training units only ????and then only a few ,, rac , schools only;???
    and THE RTR SLEAVE BADGE WOULD NECER BE WITH THE RAC shouldr titels
    i think well mabe i know this is fantasy never rtr and cav ???
    sorry guys but thats the truth cheers ian
    sorry guys typical cavalryman
    i believe that this battle dress is badly badged , for comercial reasons , it makes nho historical sence
    cheers ian

Hi ian, sorry, but things were different in WW2 than in your day

I have a blouse from the 79th Armoured Div, which I have shown on the forum before, but here is another quick look.

Hi Luc, I thought I would have remembered it

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Royal Tank Regt black beret  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast