Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The Royal Tank Regt black beret

Article about: yep il go with that how many squeeks do i ow you now??? you could not get better proof than that Ade , cheers ian

ian
    ?

Default Re: The Royal Tank Regt black beret

yep il go with that how many squeeks do i ow you now???
    you could not get better proof than that Ade , cheers ian

Good discussion and that is what the forum is about

Cheers, Ade.

I too have two of the berets and a 1943 dated tankers overall in camo. Ade please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that these overalls were only used in the PTO is that correct?

Cheers
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Royal Tank Regt black beret   The Royal Tank Regt black beret  

The Royal Tank Regt black beret   The Royal Tank Regt black beret  

Hi Gary, some nice items you have there. I always like the berets.

You are correct about the camo overalls: these were designed for jungle use. But I cannot help thinking they would have been really hot to wear. Not sure how much use they actually got? (They have being incorectly attributed in one book to "Airborne tankers " use. ) I never bought one of these and now I kick myself as they used to be cheap many years ago.

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

There was in the 1960's & 70's such a thing as "The Royal Armoured Corp Parachute squadron" red beret with RAC badge only sqdn strength, they dispanded due to vehicle losses ( Parachute failure) a 3 1/2 ton Ferret armoured car falling for a 1000 feet did not survive very well as im sure you realise and large hole in the ground.

cheers ian

I posted this thread re. The RAC on GMIC back in April 2010, it may be of interest but it's not a subject I know a lot about, if anyone can correct or add info. great.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43656&st=0

?

I recently came across a 1943 Kangol black beret. Interesting thing about this example is that it did not have any ventilation eyelets on the side. I have never seen this before. Would anyone happen to have such an example in their collection? Might this have been an early variant? Or perhaps it is a fake? What do you think? Sorry, but I don't have any pictures.

Lee Cundick
    ?

Hi
    Sorry to resurrect this but it was brought up in a thread on B&CMBF. Just to add pics to show the tank badge being worn by members of L&BY with RAC titles in NWE. Also a pic of Tpr Smith with RAC and tank badges. I presume they qualified for the tank badge at a training centre and were allowed to retain it when sent to other units. I have also found a pic of 3RTR wearing the RAC titles in Normandy, I don't think it was popular.

Lee
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Royal Tank Regt black beret   The Royal Tank Regt black beret  

In the middle picture the men seem to be wearing the formation sign of 79 div, Hobarts funnies, John.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4