Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Salty B6 flight helmet

Article about: Hello all, recently I've shifted my focus to USAAF B-17 crew equipment in order to make a display for my great uncle who was the radio operator of a B-17g in January of 1944. Before I go any

When I first got the helmet I tried it on and it didn't fit, when I found the size tag I was amazed it was an extra large as my head is average sized. I just tried it on again before I wrote this and I could get it on, but the ear patches didn't line up with my ears and the chinstrap didn't fit. It was also super tight. I'm guessing it shrank as there's no way an extra large from back then wouldn't fit me even though sizing was smaller back then. I tried lightly pulling at those shearling sections and their tightly sewed in. I even went around the outside a little and found nothing. I'm still surpirsed that someone would go through the effort to remove the earcups then sew it back together. Even if it was demilitarize to be used in a civilian plane I'd think having radios in a flight helmet would be necessary regardless of the aircraft.

?

"the only issue that I have is that the leather is really stiff which gives it a really weird shape when opened."

Sounds like it needs a drink of Pecard's mate

Attachment 1359953

?

To be honest mate, I think the decal got put on the same time they added the label ,
    It's still a nice helmet so I wouldn't be too concerned unless you paid way too much for it.
    Anytime someone describes something as " Salty " sends alarm bells of in my head to be avoided.

?

So Rick,
    You think the label and the Stamp are post war added?
    Can I get your thoughts on that?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So Rick,
    You think the label and the Stamp are post war added?
    Can I get your thoughts on that?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Sorry for late reply , Ive been away .
    I didn't like the decal from the start , It's a nice unique helmet thought .
    As for the size tag , at extra large taking into account how smaller everyone was back then should equate to at least a 60cm (23 1/4") diameter skull in modern sizing.
    If the leather is stiff then i can understand why it wont fit the OP's head .
    Besides how many XL large size genuine WW2 USAAF helmets do you see for sale anywhere ??
    Your lucky to get a Medium in anything , anywhere.
    Cheers Rick

Quote by Rick W View Post
    "the only issue that I have is that the leather is really stiff which gives it a really weird shape when opened."

Sounds like it needs a drink of Pecard's mate
    The leather on these cannot be treated! what so ever!! as with B3 jackets they DO shrink!!!

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    The leather on these cannot be treated! what so ever!! as with B3 jackets they DO shrink!!!
    Haven't had that issue with my B-3 , gets a light rub down about every 3 years and good as gold.

Had it about 20 years , hasn't shrunk an inch from then I got it.

Attachment 1360996

Attachment 1360997

Well I wouldn't treat mine due to the lacquer! and here's my other that has shrunk.

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Haven't had that issue with my B-3 , gets a light rub down about every 3 years and good as gold.

Had it about 20 years , hasn't shrunk an inch from then I got it.

BTW nice B3 Rick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast