Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap

Article about: Another great looking cap Jerry, I agree, the chinstrap looks more earlier than the cap, but that would be due to what was available at the time or it perhaps at some point the chinstrap was

?

Default Re: South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap

Another great looking cap Jerry,

I agree, the chinstrap looks more earlier than the cap, but that would be due to what was available at the time or it perhaps at some point the chinstrap was missing and this example added after the event, possibly to "complete" the cap.

I would date the cap to wartime, as it has the "appointment to" and the side buttons look consistent. Later caps had the addition of "to the late King..." and well postwar ones we know.

Regarding the addresses, I think it is very hard to date Herbert Johnson caps this way as they had many addresses simaulanesously, and also with New Bond Street. I have a 1980s dates Field Officer's cap with the address of 38 Old Bond Street, and a modern example with 30 Old Bond Street.

Oli

Thanks Oli for your input and knowledge, much appreciated.

I have been searching on the Gazette for A. L. Wood and there is at least one, (though it might be more than one) who was with the S. Staffs in WWI, won the MC, later was a Lt-Col, then rejoined from the reserves at the start of WWII with a drop in rank with the Royal Scots, then was attached to the RIASC in Burma and was mentioned in Despatches, though no mention of the SWB for any officer with this name, so either it has been rebadged -which is quite likely- or it is a different A.L. Wood, which is also likely, though the Gazette is usually pretty good with officers names from promotions, especially as I have his initials.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 06-23-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

No problem Jerry, I find British caps fascinating, and am always interested in seeing new examples.

The Gazette is good, but sometimes it hard to find some Officer's names. Also I have found that initials in a cap are what the solider was named or liked to be named, and not necessarily his official name, which might even be a middle name he uses...if that makes any sense.

Also try thinking of a first names, such as Alfred, or Arthur etc, and trying those in the search, this has worked for me, as hte Gazette lists both.

Are you sure about the date? Can I see a photo of it?

Oli

Hi Oli, I'll have to try and capture the date again as it is hard to photograph, it appears to be written in pencil along with his name A.L.Wood, but is clearly 1. 6. 45. Here is it when I tried the other day.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

A beautiful cap, thanks for sharing it.

Jerry, i'm a little ashamed to say that I have only just looked at this thread, which was remiss of me as you have provided excellent information on the thread about my cap. Anyway, it is indeed a lovely cap and I am glad that you found one badged up to the SWB as per your main interest. Cheers.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Hi Bob, can you show the logo on yours?

I have a pre war cap by a different maker that also has the combination of Royal arms and POW feathers.
    I'll try to borrow a camera again & take photos. I would love to have one of those Indian made caps like this one. I've seen a few pop up on Ebay.

BobS

Hi bob, be good if you can post the pics as getting as many different period versions of the logo will allow a chronology to be established which will aid all of us in dating any such caps in the future.

The Indian made cap was a real bonus for me as it is an officers Coloured FS cap for the Royal Welch Fusiliers and probably dates to when the 2nd battalion passed through India in 1938. Sadly it is a bit mothed, but still for me a great cap. I also have seen a few of these Indian made caps, an officers beret which I was outbid on, so I was lucky to get the RWF example from another forum for a very good price even when you take into account the condition IMHO.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South Wales Borderers Officers SD cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

South Wales Borderers Officers SD capSouth Wales Borderers Officers SD capSouth Wales Borderers Officers SD capSouth Wales Borderers Officers SD capSouth Wales Borderers Officers SD capJerry,
    Here are the only halfway decent photos I could take of Herbert Johnson logos. I have 19 Johnson caps, but the majority have that " carmelized" sweatshiels that makes the logo very hard to see, unless the cap is in hand.
    The caps include those for the Blues & Royals, 13th/18th Hussars. 17th/21stLancers, and Scots Guards.

BobS

Many thanks Bob for taking the time to post these. The top one with the caramelised liner appears to be the same logo as in the thread starter which I assume is circa WWII in date?
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2