Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Two US Air Force Head Gear Displays

Article about: I bought these two sets a while ago probably three to four years ago. At the time they required nearly a years of savings. At the time I payed around \\$200 for the first one and \\$160 for the

Default Two US Air Force Head Gear Displays

I bought these two sets a while ago probably three to four years ago. At the time they required nearly a years of savings and lots of jobs. At the time I payed around $200 for the first one and $160 for the second, was it a good purchase? I was told that all the items are from the same origin and not just pieced together. I've done some research but I would still love any info about them as I am no expert on US items.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Bodhi,

Interesting headgear and headsets.. I would like to see the insides of the headgear and any marks on the headsets..

The price of all the items together, hat, headset and glasses would be a decent price if that is what you meant by purchasing as a set,, but as you know provenance and proof are everything today...

Have you looked under the sweatbands and other areas in the crusher for a name and in the garrison cap as well?

The headsets will also have serial numbers and information on them which will help determine more specifics about them..

Based on the picture of the first headset,, (but this is pure speculation without better pictures)...it looks to be the standard HS-38 radio headset with Type ANB-H-1 receivers. The receivers were padded with black or brown rubber cushions and the cord was equipped with a PL-354 Jack..( The plug should be red plastic covered and the connecting cord will be marked PL-354... This information should be somewhere on the components..

I would once again strongly encourage prior to purchasing high dollar items to do more research... It has been said quite a bit to invest in books..

It took me about 2 minutes to look in my reference books for your 1st headset...

I would also like to see if there was any information on the sun glasses, as there is some information about them in the reference book I just pulled off the shelf..

If you don't want to purchase the books, perhaps going to a public library and they may have a copy of the book that you can look through..

The reference books I am refereeing to are:

Combat Flying Clothing: Army Air Forces Clothing during World War II by C.G. Sweeting
    Combat Flying Equipment: US Army Aviators Personal Equipment 1917-1945 by C.G. Sweeting

These books were priced at $21.95 each when I bought them back in 2006 from Edward R Hamilton Bookseller...

Here is a link with some very good deals on some books that were very expensive and are now mere pennies...

Military Collectibles - HamiltonBook.com

Smitty

Hello thanks for the reply, the crusher is named, i will post better images in a sec. I have been looking at reference books and i am about to buy two on german medals because as of now that's my main interest. Better photos are on their way.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

First Set. Second set coming.

Name under the Visor is R. E. DuBose
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two US Air Force Head Gear Displays   Two US Air Force Head Gear Displays  

Two US Air Force Head Gear Displays   Two US Air Force Head Gear Displays  

Second set.
    Glasses are unmarked but seem relatively ornate.
    Garrison Hat is unnamed

Plug is marked NARPARI NO.11364

Bodhi,

Great follow up pictures... As I suspected the first headset is the typical ANB-H1 set up.. The second set I am not 100% sure of.. These may have been used in a Link trainer or other type of setting.. The first set of glasses by Bausch and Lomb are very common and typical of AAF gear.. The other set again may have been a civilian set.. Still very nice..

I found a reference to a R.E. DuBose who was ordered to report to a local board for military service in 1917-1918... at Camp Jackson, South Carolina... Raleigh Earnest Dubose.. but I think he was too old..

If I had a little more time I would do a better search but right now I am currently researching about 11 Soldiers right now for other folks...

Will try if time permits

Smitty

Hello and thank you for the reply, I did suspect the second glasses would be civi. You don’t have to do any searching on the airman for me, especially if you already have a list!

Many thanks,
    Bodhi E.

Bodhi

What books did you buy for German medals..

Smitty.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Bodhi

What books did you buy for German medals..

Smitty.
    YES!!!! Tell us what books before you buy. There are a lot of crap books out there. Or even good books with originals but that are not worth the $$$ as they don't go into details.

Generally the best reference books focus on just a single award type and are quite expensive.

BTW.... Love the antique Hat form and a great looking "Crusher" visor. Did you see if the badge is maker marked on the reverse?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

hello, sorry for the late response, the books i am going to buy are,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZWJU5Y5L&psc=1,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...FGK3R4Y9&psc=1.
    They are from amazon but i don't think that matters, the first book I on therupturedduck for over 100 dollars and then found it on amazon for much less.
    I will get back to you on any markings on the badge of the crusher, it will be tomorrow as the liner band on the inside has very worn and delicate stitches.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast