Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2

Article about: I will post these here too since they have hat tallies. I think they were made by the sailor wife after his service or made for a sweet heart item. Not sure, but I think these aprons are nea

Quote by tconrad View Post
    Hi all,

This seems to be the best thread on the net on this subject. I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea of when this hatband was used. I found it in the old family bible, but oddly, I've accounted for everyone and I don't think anyone in this part of the family was in the Navy. It was used as a bookmark - not sure if it was actually from a family member or just a friend's.

Anyways, it's gold lettering on blue silk. It's not embroidered. There is a slight reverse indentation seen from the back. I'm not sure how this was made, but there must have been some raised letters they laid this on and used to get the gold paint on.

Navy Hatband - USS Connecticut | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any ideas would be appreciated. I can see from the net that there was a USS Connecticut during the Civil War and another in the early 1900's.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim,
    One of them may of pick it up along there way while being in the service. Also maybe the one in the navy may of been on that ship. If you don't have his service records all ready you can buy them. I use Golden Arrow Research, they are pretty fast and prices are reasonable. They can help you out. But maybe it was his tally?? If you need his service numner I may be able to find it along with his enlisted date, but I need his name.
    Also I would say the tally is from the 1900's, maybe ww1.

Jason

Thanks for the tips Jason! Golden Arrow looks useful. I've found requests through the normal channels to take forever and often they don't find anything. I had thought that somebody should be able to do better in the private sector and this looks like what I was thinking - thanks!

If this is a 1900's tally, that gives me some ideas. My Grandfather fought in the 28th Division in WWI. I have most of his service records and have the ship names that he went and came back on, but it's possible he found or traded for this at the time. He had some other souvenirs when he got back (alas, all gone!).

My other idea is my Great Great Grandfather (Pappy's wife's father). It's possible that this was Pappy's wife's and found its way into his family bible. Now this guy actually was in the Navy, twice. But both periods didn't have a USS Connecticut. His first enlistment was Feb 1880 and he deserted Dec 1880 (sorry, I can't pick my ancestors!). He changed his name after that and oddly went back in May 1887, and deserted in Constantinople Nov 1887. He disappeared after about 1900, but I didn't think he'd try going back in a third time, but it's possible.

Tim

Tim,
    He may of traded , I have a group to a sailor who had a early German and Japaneese tally with his things. He must of traded with them. He got out in 1903 and was a usn china sailor. He was in that area of the world.

I wish you the best with your research,

Jason

Quote by navycollector View Post
    Hi John,
    I think these were made by the sailor's as gifts for there sweethearts, and family members. I just seen one some where that had SISTER stich on the apron.
    Glad you like the collection,
    Jason
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I misplaced the book and then forgot about the thread. What made me think of that was this page from a book on world uniforms. It certainly isn't the most scholarly of books, but it gives an idea. I saw the resemblance in the apron for the Melville, maybe I stretched too far with my assumption.

Apologies for side-tracking the thread

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2  

Thanks for posting that picture! Hmmm I may have something similar. I have some without the tally on also some that were made for a table cover.

That is neat and will have to keep a eye for one of these.

Jason

I bought this hat a couple of weeks ago. USS Pittsburgh,ww1 era.

Jason

A new one came today. USS OKLAHOMA , I have some other items that belong to this man. He was in the navy from 1923-1925 that I know of. This ship was one that was sunk at Pear Harbor 1941. I think there was only one ship name after the state Oklahoma.

U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2

Smile

Hi! My first post here.

I'm having trouble figuring out any info on this hat tally. I have no clue but I'm hoping one of you folks might be able to assist me with this. Here are the photos:

TIA for any assistance.

Hi,
    Your tally was actually made for civilian use. They made middies(jumpers) as well for women and kids.

Quote by navycollector View Post
    Hi,
    Your tally was actually made for civilian use. They made middies(jumpers) as well for women and kids.
    Thank you for such a quick reply. I've come across a few of these (no two the same) so your explanation is much appreciated. I came across this one on ebay but couldn't decide before the auction ended (the hat looks correct) but the tally threw me off. This hat's tally is too similar to the previous one (I think) for it not to be the same hat company that made them both. However, it looks like they did a good job on the hat. This was being sold as "VTG WW1 US Navy Cracker Jack Cap Hat"

Hat and Tally
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2   U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2  

U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2   U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2  

U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2   U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2  

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast