Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2

Article about: I will post these here too since they have hat tallies. I think they were made by the sailor wife after his service or made for a sweet heart item. Not sure, but I think these aprons are nea

Default Re: U.s. Navy flat hats pre ww2

It's been a little while since I posted. Some new ones from a grouping I got this week. Sorry for the two foriegn tallies in there. The guy must of pick them up . I also have his liberty uniform.
    Uniform
    pants
    Jason

Hi guys,
    I just got the above USS Kentucky group records back from ARC. He went in 1899 and was honorably discharge in 1903.

Pick up this hat from a buddy this past week. USS LAMBERTON and the ship was Destroyer post ww1.

Jason

Those are amazing. I really want to find a USS New Jersey some day. My grandfather served on the USS New Jersey in WWII. He and my grandmother were tight for cash shortly after so they sold his uniform to someone who took off with it and never paid them. Someday when I get to truly start my collection I will try and find one. For now I still have his seabees pennant, seabees pin, and a couple other things.

Quote by navycollector View Post
    I will post these here too since they have hat tallies. I think they were made by the sailor wife after his service or made for a sweet heart item. Not sure, but I think these aprons are neat. The patches are sewn on and are used as pockets, the talley is used as the tie string.
    USS KANSAS Tally
    Attachment 285682
    Attachment 285678
    Attachment 285679
    USS HUNTINGTON
    Attachment 285685
    Attachment 285686
    USS MELVILLE
    Attachment 285688
    Attachment 285687
    Attachment 285689
    USS AEOLUS
    Attachment 285690
    Attachment 285691
    Attachment 285692

Jason
    Hi Jason,

I actually believe these aprons were issued to Pacific natives who were recruited to fill in positions on the U.S. ships - cooking, cleaning etc.. I could be wrong, but they appear to have been decorated with quite a bit of pride and in patriotic colors. Either way, good looking pieces!

- Just got a Navy cap today and stumbled upon the thread.

John

Out of curiousity, where do you find these hats? I have been looking around online, but I am having troubles finding any.

?

That is an OUTSTANDING collection you have there navycollector or should I say Cheif( or is that just your Avatar?) I like the USS Saratoga cover. I was stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Yard at the recruiter HQ there for the Marine Corps in 80-81 while it was in dry dock. That was one Big Ass carrier. You could play 3 games of football on that deck with out interfering with the other teams!!
    The other question I have is what Naval Hospital and what Naval Training Base are the other cover's for?
    You got yourself a beautiful collection!! Thanks for sharing.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Wolfe1165 View Post
    Hi Jason,

I actually believe these aprons were issued to Pacific natives who were recruited to fill in positions on the U.S. ships - cooking, cleaning etc.. I could be wrong, but they appear to have been decorated with quite a bit of pride and in patriotic colors. Either way, good looking pieces!

- Just got a Navy cap today and stumbled upon the thread.

John
    Hi John,
    I think these were made by the sailor's as gifts for there sweethearts, and family members. I just seen one some where that had SISTER stich on the apron.
    Glad you like the collection,
    Jason

Quote by Cadillac View Post
    Out of curiousity, where do you find these hats? I have been looking around online, but I am having troubles finding any.
    Hi,
    These come up on ebay , try searching by ships name or flat hat. Some times you have to be creative with your searches.

Jason

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is an OUTSTANDING collection you have there navycollector or should I say Cheif( or is that just your Avatar?) I like the USS Saratoga cover. I was stationed at the Philadelphia Naval Yard at the recruiter HQ there for the Marine Corps in 80-81 while it was in dry dock. That was one Big Ass carrier. You could play 3 games of football on that deck with out interfering with the other teams!!
    The other question I have is what Naval Hospital and what Naval Training Base are the other cover's for?
    You got yourself a beautiful collection!! Thanks for sharing.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil,
    I'm just a collector of navy items. I start out early collecting rating badges as a young kid. Later on branch out to everything else.
    If the hat do not say a certain ship or area then i'm not sure. Maybe the tallies were made like that for any naval hospital or training base.

Glad you like the collection,
    Jason

Hi all,

This seems to be the best thread on the net on this subject. I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea of when this hatband was used. I found it in the old family bible, but oddly, I've accounted for everyone and I don't think anyone in this part of the family was in the Navy. It was used as a bookmark - not sure if it was actually from a family member or just a friend's.

Anyways, it's gold lettering on blue silk. It's not embroidered. There is a slight reverse indentation seen from the back. I'm not sure how this was made, but there must have been some raised letters they laid this on and used to get the gold paint on.

Navy Hatband - USS Connecticut | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any ideas would be appreciated. I can see from the net that there was a USS Connecticut during the Civil War and another in the early 1900's.

Thanks,
    Tim

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast