Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

U.S. Officer Visor for opinions

Article about: Considering a US officer visor. I've been looking at examples on the forum, and I believe this is a wartime summer style visor with a 50 mission leather band on the back? I know these photos

Almost all the insignia are 1960's to current. As for the cap,
    it depends on how badly you want/need it. It's in great
    condition. Could you find another as good
    for less.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve. It's the nicest one I've come across in the handful of years I've been collecting, though I haven't been watching purposefully for one. Just heard from a buddy who said he figures it's worth it if it were a crusher, but if a regular visor which I'm sure it is, it may be a bit high. Doesn't hurt to make an offer though, I think the seller is motivated to sell the stuff, and I'd love to have a WWII example in my collection.

Hi, if it were a genuine crusher it would set you back more than the asking price, but as you suspect and I do to, this is just a nice top quality officers cap. Personally I would either buy the lot and keep it all together or pass. But then again, you cannot guarantee the next buyer will not just pick out the bits they are interested in. Decisions decisions!! Leon.

Leon I certainly empathize with what you're saying. But, he's already parting it out right now unfortunately. I just happened to ask him about the hat before much of the rest had sold, and found out he had all that. If I pass, it's going to be scattered to the wind piece by piece anyway.

He wants to just sell me the WW2 items. The overseas hat and the dark uniform is tagged and dated 1945, a few months before the war ended. He'll give me all the WW2 stuff for $250, the portrait and some documents, an offer I'm seriously considering taking. At least that much would stay together. I just don't have the room or collector appreciation for all the Korean era items.
    Last edited by avenger; 09-14-2015 at 12:37 AM.

?

HAGGLE,HAGGLE,HAGGLE. All he will say is no and go from there. Like they say "You have to play the game to win"

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by avenger View Post
    Leon I certainly empathize with what you're saying. But, he's already parting it out right now unfortunately. I just happened to ask him about the hat before much of the rest had sold, and found out he had all that. If I pass, it's going to be scattered to the wind piece by piece anyway.

He wants to just sell me the WW2 items. The overseas hat and the dark uniform is tagged and dated 1945, a few months before the war ended. He'll give me all the WW2 stuff for $250, the portrait and some documents, an offer I'm seriously considering taking. At least that much would stay together. I just don't have the room or collector appreciation for all the Korean era items.
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I would get the WW2 items at that price, sad that the group has been split but what's done is done and you can get some very nice pieces at a nice price. Good luck. Leon.

Everything has arrived and in good shape. There's good news and bad news with the set. Good news is the uniform is quite nice, and all is marked early 1945 issue (one tunic, 2 pairs of pants). It will make a lovely addition to my collection, and is something I've been watching for. I also have a lot of documents, mostly postwar between WWII and Korea, including two letters of promotion to captain, and then to major. I've requested the NARA public records for the soldier, and hope to learn more about his service. He earned the Bronze Star with Valor device 3 times for his service, along with other merits and awards during his career up to Colonel.

The bad news, the visor isn't WW2 issue. I've been told by the folks over at US Militaria forum (whose advice unfortunately came a little too late) that it's a 1950's private purchase, so it's part of his Korean attire. They tell me Berkshire DeLuxe are 1950's vintage, and the inner cap ring reinforcement is also something they've not seen on WWII era items. So, I guess that purchase while a nice example, isn't what it was believed to be, and considerably less valuable as a collectible than the asking price.

Overall a mix of realized expectations and unrealized ones, but a nice set of items from a decorated man who definitely served and saw action in WWII.

Well, the man saw three wars - which is saying
    something. It's still a nice cap.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

I still think the hat is a beauty and Korean era items will only get more collectible over time.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Korean War was a horrendous nightmare. That he survived it and Two other wars to boot....that was one impressive guy. Read an excellent book named "The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War" by David Halberstam. I very much recommend it. (In fact, I have a copy of it if you can't find one)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast