Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

UN light blue beret???

Article about: Hello this looks like a postwar UN light blue beret. Is this beret authentic?

?

Default UN light blue beret???

Hello this looks like a postwar UN light blue beret. Is this beret authentic?

UN light blue beret???

UN light blue beret???

UN light blue beret???

UN light blue beret???

UN light blue beret???

UN light blue beret???

UN light blue beret???

Well, as the UN was formed in Oct '45 and the UN Peacekeeping Force has only been around since 1948 I would hope it is "post war"

As far as the British UN contribution goes the UN blue headgear and badges etc are produced by mostly the same contractors as other Brit gear and through the same supply system. I believe this is the case (I stand to be corrected) with other UN contributing nations. So, if it were British it should look exactly like any other British issued beret. The ones I recall were made by Kangol and Compton & Webb to name two.

I have seen that brand label before but I can't place it to be honest. However, it looks to me like a commercial item. That isn't to say that it isn't a UN beret per se as there are something like 130 nations involved and UN troops of some nations will always buy commercial berets over the issued item but if you are looking for a genuine UN used piece I think I might look elsewhere or at least want provenance.

I am sure I have one from Cyprus in the '80s. I'll see if I can find it and post a pic.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

I believe that is a French makers label.

As already stated, the label looks typically French.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by CBH View Post
    I believe that is a French makers label.
    That may be the explanation then!

However, the combination of the concepts "Commando" and "UN Peacekeeper" do leave me somewhat agog!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."