Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII

Article about: As far as I am aware these were introduced at the same time as the coloured FS cap of the same shape and basic design, in 1937, though both types had predecessors in the period before and in

Default Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII

As far as I am aware these were introduced at the same time as the coloured FS cap of the same shape and basic design, in 1937, though both types had predecessors in the period before and into WWI.

That said, the earliest example I own is dated 1939, and the latest is 1943 which is when they were superceded by the Cap General Service, which is beret like cap similar to a Scottish bonnet or Tam O Shanter without a pom on top.

Most of these are very similar in design and construction, but each commonwealth nation made their own with some variation, the Canadians for instance have dark blue/black linings.

Common British makers are J Collett & Sons And A & J Gelfer Glasgow.

Officers version also existed and are generally of better quality with nicer sweatband liners, most are not maker marked, I only have one to an officer of the Welch regiment which is nicely named to him.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII   Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII  

Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII   Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII  

Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII   Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Nice examples to start thread off mate!

Heres my one

A Black watch insignia one made by A&J GELFER GLASGOW 1940 size: 6 3/4.

This one has a pleasant yellow mustard colour inside with some other cloth going around the sweatband. Not sure if this is unique but i like it.

Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWIIUniversal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWIIUniversal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWIIUniversal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWIIUniversal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWIIUniversal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII

The gelfer I shared also has a yellow liner and cloth band, just not so obvious in the pic I showed.

Very nice example by the way.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Universal pattern (khaki) field service cap WWII  
    Regards,

Jerry

Australian version, rarely worn and in my reference I have no pictures of them being worn!
    Aust woolen materials do have wide ranging colour variations.

Probably shouldn't post this one here, but I will.
    South African Air Force, I believe that they are the only ones to make the cotton variation (I stand to be corrected here)

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Probably shouldn't post this one here, but I will.
    South African Air Force, I believe that they are the only ones to make the cotton variation (I stand to be corrected here)
    There was also an Indian made cotton version Rene.
    Regards,

Jerry

The New Zealand made version.