Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Air Force Peaked Cap ID?

Article about: The hat is an artillery dress visor post war for officers ranks

Default US Air Force Peaked Cap ID?

Here is another one of the items we picked up while on vacation. Not really sure about this one, looks like the real deal but I can not find much information on this US Air Force Officers peaked cap what so ever.

Any thoughts?

Russ & Son

?

Default Re: US Air Force Peaked Cap ID?

Air force private school or acadamy ?

Regards Mark K

Not USAF but US Army dress blue uniform cap for a field grade officer.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade for setting this one straight.

Russ

It's amazing how easy it is to find things when you look for them in the correct branch of service.

Here's the 411 on this cap:

"This is a United States Army field grade officer's dress blue visor hat from the Post-Cold War era (1991-Present). The hat features a gold metal Army officer's cap badge on the front. Below the badge is a red and gold hat band. This indicates that the wearer was a member of the artillery. A gold chinstrap is attached to the front of the hat by a set of gold buttons embossed with an Army eagle. The hats visor also has a set of embroidered oak leaves to signify the field grade rank."

I've seen a few listed as Vietnam era but I'm not sure that is correct. Still need to do a bit more digging. This cap is made of wool so I think that dates it back a bit.

Russ

?

I know how you feel Russ the right branch of the service or In my case the right era or armed forces with a M43 field cap I was trying to look up .

Regards Mark K

?

Russ, the cap is current issue for dress blues. They come in wool if you want to pay a bit extra. The wool cap in the photo, except for the brand, is identical to the one we burried with my dad about 4 years ago.

?

Quote by Okie View Post
    Russ, the cap is current issue for dress blues. They come in wool if you want to pay a bit extra. The wool cap in the photo, except for the brand, is identical to the one we burried with my dad about 4 years ago.
    Just to clarify, this hat goes back aways. My dad got his in the 1970s when he bought his dress blues. He was artillery.

Okie, thanks for the info and clarification. My kid spotted another one, just the other day, a Flight Ace, not quite as ornate, but a good looking dress cap as well. Might have to go and have a look at it myself.

?

My dad had some Flight Ace hats over the years since WWII. He never scrimped on his uniforms. All of his insignia was from Meyers of New York. Here is a picture my wife put together for his obit. On his right breast there is a Marine globe and anchor. He was inducted into the Chosin Few because of his actions in Korea with the 10th FA, 3rd ID. The crest above the right pocket and the crossed cannons are of the 32nd FA of which he was 4th Battalion Commander and then Regimental Colonel.

BTW, my son, who is stationed in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, has my dad's personal engraved Colt .45 we gave him at retirement. My mom thought it a fitting gift both times.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Air Force Peaked Cap ID?  
    Last edited by Okie; 10-28-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast