Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US leather flying helmet

Article about: My dad was moving house last week and this turned up along with a few more nice items of militaria german and usa what i would like to know is if anyone could date this is it ww2 has tag pro

Default US leather flying helmet

My dad was moving house last week and this turned up along with a few more nice items of militaria german and usa

what i would like to know is if anyone could date this is it ww2 has tag property of the us army! also what would the correct name of it be?

all my collection is german but i still think i will display it anyway!

thanks very much for any help

comments welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US leather flying helmet   US leather flying helmet  

US leather flying helmet   US leather flying helmet  

US leather flying helmet  

Cool re: US leather flying helmet

Ewan,

You got it right there in the tag. It is officially called intermediate flying helmet, type A-11. It was introduced in August 1943. It is a WWII item, of course, and one of the most widely used flying helmet.

Yours is in very nice condition, and it is a size (extra large) not too often seen.

Regards,

Gus

Default re: US leather flying helmet

thanks gus i just thought there might be another name for these its intresting item and it smells in the inside my first bit of u.s gear to my room sadly this is all i have a "room" so cant collect anything else just now

Hi Ewan, it is a very nice item. WW2 Flying gear of any nation is always a popular collecting theme.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I think this is the same as yours? does this guy look like Tom Hanks or not?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US leather flying helmet   US leather flying helmet  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ewan, it is a very nice item. WW2 Flying gear of any nation is always a popular collecting theme.

Cheers, Ade.
    thanks ade does this have a inter com thing like mic ade? also do you think i could get hold of an item like the ear pieces for this cap? or would it be rare? as it has the holes a think that would complete the look on a display head!

p.s found a few intresting items a repainted Q66 lid and a war time kind of motorcycle crasher but looks like a kind of helmet i think its ww2 british a original ration book and 1940 dated newspaper a book on german insignias and two 108mm (i think) brass shell case's not bad for a non collector i would say

i will post the crash type helmet in disscusions tomorow cheers

Hi Ewan, yes you are doing grand for a non collector!

See this site about the other items you need to complete the helmet: It never ends eh?

alliedflightgear.com

Cheers, Ade.

cheers for the link ade i will look to completeing it up soon yes my dad was doing well aswell for not being a collector but had all these mint items only german was the q66 lid and insignia book and newspaper the others british and u.s i think its opened a new door for me as you say it never ends mate

iam sure thats the exact same as mines of what i can see

see some very similar ones on the site but the one in pic is it and the setup look wicked to me i have to get there somtime soon

theres whare mines should be at ade

much $ to have that set up evan a rough number?

Attached Images Attached Images US leather flying helmet 

Quote by Ewan Stirling View Post
    thanks ade does this have a inter com thing like mic ade? also do you think i could get hold of an item like the ear pieces for this cap? or would it be rare? as it has the holes a think that would complete the look on a display head!
    Ewan,

To complete the set, you can install a pair of ANB-H1 earphones in the ear mountings (called donuts by the pilots) that can be found as part of of the HS-33 headphones. You would also need AN-6530 or B8 goggles and finally, an oxigen mask, such as the A-14. The earphones, oxigen mask and goggles can be found with relative ease at E-bay. The display with all the pieces together is quite impressive. But beware, once you start collecting USAAF gear , it will be hard to stop.

If you want to know more about WWII USAAF gear, donĀ“t miss these books:

Combat flying clothing and Combat flying equipment, both by C.G. Sweeting.

Regards,

Gus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast