Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Us Officers Cap

Article about: Hello, I have just bought this cap, can anyone help me date it? I wonder if its pre-war as all the wartime one I have seen have gilt badges, and this one is bronze. Any help appreciated. Dou

Default Us Officers Cap

Hello, I have just bought this cap, can anyone help me date it? It cost £35 and I figured it was certainly pre 1945. I wonder if its pre-war as all the wartime one I have seen have gilt badges, and this one is bronze. The material is also a much lighter brown than the dark chocolate officers uniforms I am used to seeing. Any help appreciated.

Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Us Officers Cap   Us Officers Cap  

Us Officers Cap   Us Officers Cap  

Last edited by douglas2496; 09-23-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Further research shows similarity with First World War caps. If anyone can help me narrow it down that would be great.

Hi Doug, Whatever your cap is, it is a beauty!!!!! I have a few US Army caps going back to pre WWII days but I am no expert as I usually stick with post war caps. I would estimate its age to circa 1938 ish possibly a bit earlier?? Why?? The crown lining is of an early style and the manufacturer's logo and detail look early to me. The cap is wearing, what appears to be, a very high quality device (posibbly Gemsco?) in a dark toned gold. The material, cap band and chin strap all look to me to be contemporary with the immediate pre war years and most importantly, I can see no evidence of the cap being tampered with? It all looks spot on to me. As I said though, I am no expert but would hope that someone with a bit more knowledge the us will either confirm or correct my opinions. In any event, a very nice and desireable cap!!!

Cheers Michael R

PS Take a quick look at this site they have a selection of US insignia manufacturer's logos etc. If there is a logo on the reverse of your badge, you may well be able to tie the badge to a production date or period?? Good luck MR

Hallmarks of US badges & insignia - Wartime Collectable

PPS The Bristol Area!!

I would say "WW1 era".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I cant help on dating it Douglas, but it really is a beauty and a bargain.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Ade, I am inclined to agree, it is a nice early cap however, the badge looks brass to me and my understanding is that WWI cap badges were in bronze?? In any event, a real nice find!!

Cheers Michael R

Thanks very much for the responses. The badge looks bronze to me and is unmarked. It comes out more yellowish in the pictures, in daylight it is distinctly orange- brown toned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Us Officers Cap   Us Officers Cap  

Yes Douglas, The reverse definately looks bronze so I defer to Ade. WWI or there about. For its age, I am amazed by both its condition and lack of wear. I wounder if the owner was a casualty hence the lack of wear, especially given that it is a working rather than a dress cap. Are there any names or initials inside the leather band?? It is a shame that the badge is unmarked because it is a very classy piece and one that I would like to own!!! Good find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Michael

I don't know if US visors follow the same sequence as British and German examples which change from flat tops to saddle form in the 30's or thereabouts.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, To the best of my knowlede, US caps have remained pretty constant and not been through the style changes that our caps have. The only US caps in my collection that are "Saddled" are those with the crown former removed and which have been deliberately shaped. Even the earlier "bell" style caps tend to be very rigid and round. However, There are exceptions to most rules so I could be wrong??
    Cheers Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast