Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

USAAF Visors

Article about: Mint officer’s tropical visor by Brooks of Calif. U.S. embroidered (done in U.S.) eagle with interior double wall construction enclosing a lacquered cane interior band to permit air flow. Su

This gives a good overview on the characteristics of the Bancroft Flighter (from a site that sells repros):

There are many differences between original Flighters depending on when they were produced.

Traits of early war Flighters:
    •Dark gold satin lining in OD #51 caps; khaki satin lining in Khaki #1 caps.
    •Heat stamped Flighter logo on sweatband.
    •The words “BY BANCROFT” below the sweatband logo (pre-May 1943) and “BY BANCROFT Visor Pat. Pend.” (post-May 1943).
    •Red, white, and blue diamond shaped label on satin lining (also in some late war Flighters).
    •Plain, unfinished leather on the underside of the visor.
    •Sweatband color is usually tan.

Traits of mid-late war Flighters:
    •Yellow, tan/silver, and olive drab satin lining in OD#51 caps; yellow satin lining in Khaki #1 caps.
    •Gold or silver (rare) embossed Flighter logo on sweatband.
    •The words “BY BANCROFT U.S. PAT. NO. 2369275” below the sweatband logo (post-February 1945).
    •Black printed circular label on satin lining.
    •Underside of the visor is finished with a piece of suede.
    •Sweatband color is usually a dark shade of russet brown.

In addition to these differences, there are others such as the style of mohair braid, color and size of the metal eyelets, pattern of ventilation holes in the sweatband, and interior construction of the caps. To make things even more confusing, the original caps were often manufactured at times using two different styles or patterns of certain materials simultaneously (i.e., only the diamond shaped red, white, and blue labels were used on early war caps, but this style of label also appears randomly on mid-late war caps).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Unissued Flighter w/ issue box and tag (unfortunately, not mine), along with the original patent application for the Flighter.

Note that the patent was applied for on May 3, 1943, and granted on February 13, 1945:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF Visors   USAAF Visors  

?

That dropped my jaw!!
    I hope you don't mind if I save that pic to my PC ? As I think that is the closest I'll ever get to seeing a New In Box Flighter.
    Thank you for sharing the patent also.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil, no problem, photo is not mine, and have no idea where I found it (years ago).
    I have yet to run across an original Flighter MIB to this day....

Not a crusher, but it has a very lightweight body (no internal padding)--the Fly-Weighter by Lewis:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF Visors   USAAF Visors  

My other SOS score--an "Air Force Commander" crusher (styled by Willis)--literally the floppiest crusher I have ever owned:

USAAF Visors  

Tropical-weight Flighter w/ bullion insignia named to Captain David Lurensky:
    (ctf)

USAAF Visors   USAAF Visors  

Period Bancroft advertisements:

Nice Crusher portrait
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF Visors  

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Nice Crusher portrait
    Such young kids, it always makes me sad to see this

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast