Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USAF Enlisted Visor??

Article about: Guys, Need some help with this visor. I really know nothing about Post War US visors. This was given to my son at the local show this weekend. Appears to be a USAF Enlisted visor. But it is

MAP
    ?

Default USAF Enlisted Visor??

Guys,

Need some help with this visor. I really know nothing about Post War US visors. This was given to my son at the local show this weekend.

Appears to be a USAF Enlisted visor. But it is quite high quality from what I can see. Minor wear and tear (some stitching on sweatband is loose and one small section of leather visor is separating which is easy to fix).

It has a two piece brim (underside is leather, top appears to be patent leather) and a nice quality sweatband. Size is 7 1/4. It also has a removable thick round braided cord to help keep its shape on the inside.

Can someone tell me what era this is from? There are no markings at all.

It was given to my son for free but not sure what a value on this is.

Any and all comments welcome.

Michael

USAF Enlisted Visor??USAF Enlisted Visor??USAF Enlisted Visor??USAF Enlisted Visor??USAF Enlisted Visor??USAF Enlisted Visor??USAF Enlisted Visor??USAF Enlisted Visor??
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Early 50's and I believe it is an officers (2nd Lt to Major).
    Are there any stamps on the back of the sweat band?
    I'm still looking for some better examples to compare it to but what I am seeing so far say's USAF 50's officer's.
    Congrats little Map!!!!
    Good Job Dad!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Thanks Phil.

Sorry. No markings at all. Nice to know it is officers. Assumed it was enlisted but it is a high quality item so makes sense.

BTW...It is the smile (and the fact that I've bought so much from these guys over the years)! But he gets free stuff every time we go. Usually patches or expended artillery shells and stuff. This probably is the best item so far! I wish I was a kid again.

M
    Last edited by MAP; 02-28-2015 at 11:37 PM.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Michael, It is a nice early USAF Junior/Company Officer's cap and I agree with Phil re the period and would go so far as to say possibly even Korean War. The colour is a shade of blue gey rather than the later dark blue. Usually, this pattern of cap would be worn by any rank, Enlisred, Warrant Officer or Officer up to field grade with only the cap device detailing the rank group of the wearer. Issue caps usually have a rectangular ink stamp on the inside of the sweat band whilst private purchase caps usually carry the manufacturer's label and/or an embosed stamp on the outside of the band. The chinstrap in black leather is common to all ranks including General Officers as are the silver buttons.

In the UK I would expect to pay circa £30+ for a nice example whilst I have actually paid as little as £2 for an unbadged modern blue example. Not a common cap these days. Congratulations on the aquisition and it just goes to prove that not all dealers are rogues!!

Cheers Michael.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Michael for the great info. Based on your and Phil's info, I can now update my spreadsheet.

You are correct about the color. Definitely a lighter blue grey than I am typically used to seeing.

Knowing you collection I was hoping you would see this thread.

The dealer is a good guy. Known him for years and his grandkids and my boys go to school together.