MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Usmc helmet cover always dated april 1953.

Article about: I saw a lot of 2nd pattern USMC helmet cover, even salty ones, always dated april 1953. That looks strange to me, maybe the marines who fought during early months of the war were wearing the

Default Usmc helmet cover always dated april 1953.

I saw a lot of 2nd pattern USMC helmet cover, even salty ones, always dated april 1953. That looks strange to me, maybe the marines who fought during early months of the war were wearing the 2nd pattern ww2 covers but the others? I am sure there were marines who fought in 1951-52 but I have never seen a 1951-52 dated USMC helmet cover, can anyone explain me why?

Default Re: Usmc helmet cover always dated april 1953.

If I understand your question correctly, I think it could be because marines fighting in the start of the Korean War were using lots of WW2 surplus as you said. Perhaps around 1953 those stores of WW2 surplus gear were running out so they commissioned more production?

?

The marines never throw anything out, quite possible it was just reissued from ww2 and restamped. I knew another collector who was in the marines in vietnam and said they still were using ww2 usmc web gear sometimes even helmet covers

there is a lot of debate around when these covers were used and if some were re stamped WW2 ones. I have one that has a EGA on both sides but no 53 date anywhere I hope it a WW2 its nice and salty.

Quote by CSM Gray View Post
    there is a lot of debate around when these covers were used and if some were re stamped WW2 ones. I have one that has a EGA on both sides but no 53 date anywhere I hope it a WW2 its nice and salty.
    My cover has the EGA on the "beach" side but no date stamp. I am a firm believer that these are WWII vintage reissued for Korea.

Hello , if i may sir , the cover with the 1953 dates were made post korean war era by the blue anchor overall company , these covers were not really used until the vietnam war , all other
    covers were stamped around 1954 and 1955 , there were vast quantities of ww2 ones still in supply depots. When i was growing up in 1970 s they were all over the surplus stores in
    san diego , but dried up in the 1980 s as military collecting became popular , also reenacting . thank you koreamike

My USMC Reserve Unit - Marine Wing Support Group-47, issued these helmet covers for summer Active Training Duty into the late 1980's. Marine Corps was famous /notorious for using old "782" gear until is really is relic grade. I kept one cover dated 1953, when the supply clerk was collecting gear after we returned back to our home base.