Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visor thoughts

Article about: A picker friend up north told me this visor existed and if anyone here knows me, know that i collect chaplain helmets. I know this is a WW1 US officer visor and I do know that the cross is a

Default Visor thoughts

A picker friend up north told me this visor existed and if anyone here knows me, know that i collect chaplain helmets. I know this is a WW1 US officer visor and I do know that the cross is a period WW1 cross and the eagle insignia is correct. The insignia is in a Non regulation position and there no photographs showing a US visor with a cross, there is evidence of the Germans doing it in WW1 and WW2. Could a Chaplain followed suit and do it? Per regulation the Chaplain were not to have a cross on their over seas cap but they did it against regulation. I know it will be opinions and conjecture but could this be real?

Pickers pictures from a cell phone, he will pick it up this weekend for me if I want it.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visor thoughts   Visor thoughts  

Visor thoughts   Visor thoughts  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Well, as it is non-regulation who knows. I would say the only "saving grace" would be to check the patina behind the pin as well as on the prongs in the back. That will only "potentially" give you an idea as to how long it was on the cap.

A lovely visor anyway. (Although I would not "pay up" for the cross. If anything being non-regulation, I would "pay down".)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Marty
    May I ask how you know the cross is a "period WW1" cross ? If it definitely is...Why would someone add it to the hat post war ?. If MAP is saying it depreciates the value (Pay down) it does not make any sense. I would think it was added wartime if that's the case. That's how I am thinking anyway
    Good Luck with it
    D.

The pictures were sent to me via text 2 months ago and upon receiving them I sent them to two different people, both are Chaplain experts and one of the two is a Col. Chaplain In the Army both confirmed that the cross looked fine but both were perplexed about the non reg cross and both having never seen one before on a visor. It will be a gamble and asking price if real is fair. I will know Sat. If a deal can be made.

Marty

For conversation....what application would this cross be if not for a visor or OS hat ? Collar insignia ?
    D.

I am not sure about the cross other than for the collar. I have pictures of collar crosses in what appears to be gold or silver. I do know the black bronze insignia changed over to gold, I believe in 1922ish so I believe but may be wrong that the cross would fit in that time frame.
    I agree with Michael that the wear on the cross pin to cap area will help determine if it is a recent addition but from the poor pictures it looks to have wear on the leather strap were the pin is touching.

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Hi Marty
    May I ask how you know the cross is a "period WW1" cross ? If it definitely is...Why would someone add it to the hat post war ?. If MAP is saying it depreciates the value (Pay down) it does not make any sense. I would think it was added wartime if that's the case. That's how I am thinking anyway
    Good Luck with it
    D.
    Don't disagree David. My view was that if it can't be proven it is war time applied I would offer less. If there is reasonable certainty it was period applied, it is of course worth more. That said, it is a great visor and I would take the chance
    Last edited by MAP; 11-01-2018 at 01:37 AM. Reason: grammar
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I pulled the trigger and bought the visor. I will post pictures of the cross area when the visor arrives or when I get back in town.

Marty

Good.
    I tried to PM you today but it did not go thru.
    Was going to say "Go for it"
    D

Quote by real steel View Post
    Good.
    I tried to PM you today but it did not go thru.
    Was going to say "Go for it"
    D
    Thank David for the thumbs up, hopefully it will be here by the coming weekend.

Marty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast