Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What exactly do I have here?

Article about: I know this is an old thread... but what the hey. The side buttons are not Royal Engineers but those worn by Colonel and Brigadier, as well as Junior Staff Officers. On the whole a very nice

?

Default What exactly do I have here?

Picked this up on a whim many years ago. All I really know is British. Any idea year, etc.?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What exactly do I have here?   What exactly do I have here?  

What exactly do I have here?   What exactly do I have here?  

Default Re: What exactly do I have here?

Hi, you have a British Army Officers service dress cap. The red band shows he is a member of the staff and cap badge signifies the rank of Colonel or Brigadier.

The cap will be hard to date exactly. The badge is the "Kings Crown" pattern and this was used in WW2 through till 1953.

The water proof lining can become sticky with age.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade, thank you. Your knowledge of such things is phenominal.

yea man, what do you do for a living ade? go get a job with the history channel haha

Have you peeled back the leather sweatband and looked under the lining for a name? Ok, the owner was high ranking, but quite often military pers out of habit from their junior days, aways marked their kit.

Additionally if you are careful in removing the chin strap, there might be a name on it!

?

I shall give it a once over and see if I can find anything.

?

Alas, no luck in finding an owner's name. Never the less, a nice cap. Thanks to all who share their knowledge on this site. Regards.

ILH
    ?

Hi,

I can't quite make out the Chinstrap buttons. They are probably the General Service type (royal crest with supporters[animals]), but they might be regimental buttons- if in doubt post a picture, please.

The kings crown goes back to 1902 (Victoria died 1901, then Edward, George, George, and Elizabeth in 1954), but going on materials, I'm with Ade.... 1930s -50s.

jim.

?

Well, I'm not sure about the button. Here's a photo of it. What's the conclusion?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What exactly do I have here?  

They are Royal Engineers buttons and not the more expected General Service. They are George VI, so again in keeping with the 1930's to 50's era.

He may have been a former Engineer who kept his old buttons on his cap.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast