Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Wolseley sun Helmet 1942

Article about: A nice Wolseley I picked up at the weekend.

Default Wolseley sun Helmet 1942

A nice Wolseley I picked up at the weekend. Its a shame the paper label is missing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wolseley sun Helmet 1942   Wolseley sun Helmet 1942  

Wolseley sun Helmet 1942   Wolseley sun Helmet 1942  

Very nice, I have a few British sun helmets, 4 wolseley's, one Khaki Sola and one India pattern, well actually I have post war Wolsely and India patterns and two earlier patterns of uncertain origin, but they don't seem relevant to this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wolseley sun Helmet 1942   Wolseley sun Helmet 1942  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

A nice find indeed Steve and looks to be in lovely condition can't help but notice that your example has the single wrap puggaree which IMO makes your Wolseley a little different for a WW II example as on the norm this will be found on pre 1920 produced piths.
    I have had this example in my collection for some time and it still bares it's manufacturers paper label on the inside and was produced by Helmets Ltd. Wheathampstead England and is so dated 1942. and is in a size“6 3/8 and it as well is sporting the single wrap pug.
    Wolseley sun Helmet 1942
    And this particular example is 1942 dated and nicely /l\ marked and was manufactured by Sutton and is in a size 6 3/4 the foil for the most part is still intact looking closely at your example I am of the opinion that the interior dome on your Wolseley very likely would have been lined in foil as well but Jerry may have other thoughts on this.
    Wolseley sun Helmet 1942
    Regards Mark

For me, the wider and more wraps on the pug, the earlier it is. I think these single wrap pugs are either just a makers variation, perhaps an economy measure, or they are intended for the other armed forces, IE RAF or RN. I don't think much research has been devoted to this matter. I wonder if the examples with the green waxy feel under the brim are waterproof for RN use.

this example of mine -which is shown above- has the green under the brim trim and a foil lined dome, but a fuller pug, so that probably shoots my theory down about the thin pugs and waxy under brims as being RN.

Wolseley sun helmet WW2
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Thanks Jerry I can't add a link right one but this theory on the single wrap pug is posted on service pubs link to the Canadian Wolseley .
    I will add a link this evening after work.

Regards Mark

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Thanks Jerry I can't add a link right one but this theory on the single wrap pug is posted on service pubs link to the Canadian Wolseley .
    I will add a link this evening after work.

Regards Mark
    Hi Mark, you could be correct, but if you look at WWI piths they nearly all have very wide pugs with multiple folds.

My other thought is that it is for dress/ceremonial duties, Royal Marines band for instance and especialy commonly seen on white piths. My post war pith is white with a single narrow pug band.

If you look on ebay for instance for RMpiths.

royal marines pith helmet | eBay
    Regards,

Jerry

Regards,

Jerry

?

Thanks for posting the link for me Jerry it is appreciated sir.

Regards Mark

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Thanks for posting the link for me Jerry it is appreciated sir.

Regards Mark
    No problem, I have it bookmarked on my com anyway, a good article with a lot of lovely piths.
    Regards,

Jerry