Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WW II U.S. EM/NCO peaked cap.

Article about: I picked up this named specimen this weekend at a local gun show. Nothing fancy, to be sure, but I like it. Not sure why the two chin straps, but the way you see it looks like the way it has

Default WW II U.S. EM/NCO peaked cap.

I picked up this named specimen this weekend at a local gun show. Nothing fancy, to be sure, but I like it. Not sure why the two chin straps, but the way you see it looks like the way it has been for a long time. Like I said, nothing fancy, but for $30, what the hell.
    I haven't been able to find anything on the name yet.
    Comments welcome and as always, thanks for looking!

Love the cap! It s nice it's named. Those may be the most prominent vent holes I ve seen on one. I believe the two chinstraps are for a NCO rank? But I'm happy to stand corrected. I need to my homework on these I have quite a few but I always love to see them posted. Best regards.

Brian

Nice one can't go wrong for $30

?

Nice one Carp.
    I was told, So I believe that the rear visor strap comes from the Cavalry days (Chin Strap)but was an option for the visor's on both enlisted and officers.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 08-14-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks for the feedback guys! It may not be a museum piece, but I rather like it!

MAP
    ?

Nice visor! Love the back strap. You did well!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Not bad for $30. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

AZPhil is spot on about the use of a back strap on Officers and Enlisted Mens caps. This was a feature found on pre- and early-War caps. At least two of mine (one Officers, one EMs) have such straps - damned smart and certainly a steal at $30!
    Rain-cover too? Even better.

Any luck tracing the name & S/N yet?

Well done,
    Bob

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been laid up with a nasty ear infection and haven't done much looking into Pvt. Spraker.
    I found this today;
    Leonard L Spraker Baldwinsville, New York
    St Mary's Cemetery
    Tappan Street
    Baldwinsville, NY 13027
    Branch: US ARMY
    War:WORLD WAR II
    Leonard Spraker PFC, Baldwinsville, NY

And this;

Leonard L. Spraker, 81, of Baldwinsville died Thursday, November 20, 2003 at St. Camillus Health & Rehab. Center. He was born in Syracuse and lived in Baldwinsville the past 57 years. Leonard was retired from the Ward Bakery and the Baldwinsville School District. He was a communicant of St. Mary's Church, a member of the Baldwinsville Moose Lodge and the Lysander Grange. Mr. Spraker was an Army veteran of WW II. He was pre-deceased by a son, Robert F. Spraker in 2001 and a brother Albert in 1967.
    Survivors: his wife of 57 years, the former Catherine V. Short; a daughter, Cheryl A. Wasielewski of Baldwinsville; five sons, Richard L., William C., Mark E. and Paul A. all of Baldwinsville and Michael D. of Syracuse; a brother, Herbert of Plainville; eleven grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren.
    Services: 10:00 am Tuesday, November 25, 2003 at St. Mary's Church Baldwinsville. Burial in St. Mary's Cemetery. Calling hours are 4-7pm Monday, November 24, 2003 at Falardeau Funeral Home, 93 Downer Street, Baldwinsville.
    Contributions: St. Mary's Anniversary Fund, 47 Syracuse St., Baldwinsville, NY 13027.

And Lastly;