MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 British Pith helmet question

Article about: Hi Forum, I have recently acquired a WW1 era British pith helmet, not something I would normally collect but it was a gift. sAdly it is not in the best condition and the brim is missing a pi

Dean,

The Wolseley looks great from the outside as you said, and even despite its rough interior, it's a really nice piece in my opinion. I personally like some of the more used Wolseleys, I had a nice worn WWI one to the British 14th Hussars for a little while, was not in the best shape but still displayed well. Great Wolseley you have there!

Regards,

-Jamie

Quote by tubist73 View Post
    Looking at the letter 'T' over the W /|\ D stamp I would guess this to be a helmet manufactured in 1937.

Matthew
    you are of course correct (no excuse), the number is the inspectors code not the date. WWI inkstamps have the date number above the arrow. There is an X over 16 (1936) marked example on Brittons at war in mint condition for £75 and I have a Q over 15 with an accompanying dated 1940 label in a hat.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British Pith helmet question  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

WW1 British Pith helmet questionHere is the photo of what I think is the owner of my old relic from 1937...

I can't quite see enough details in the picture at this resolution but looking at the number of Lewis guns on display, and the smart turnout of the men, I would guess this is definitely an inter-war photo and not WW1. With the later date of your Wolseley I would also say that if the former owner is in the picture, he is not wearing this same helmet - it must have been a later issue.

Matthew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2