Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 AAC Bancroft 'Flighter' crusher cap

Article about: Just picked this one up, and am quite happy to add it to my small WW2 AAF collection.... Some photos for show and tell, cheers, Bob

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Fantastic cap Bob, and a great match up with that lovely tunic. I am still considering getting a tunic to go along with my crusher and headset. Leon.
    Come on Leon. You know you have to DO IT!!!!!!
    Do IT, Do IT!!!!!!! I Double Dare Ya.
    There Ya Go Now you have to DO IT
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Come on Leon. You know you have to DO IT!!!!!!
    Do IT, Do IT!!!!!!! I Double Dare Ya.
    There Ya Go Now you have to DO IT
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    No pressure then Leon!

A great cap Bob and a great ensemble
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Great cap Bob!

The best I could get is Miles Rapley Hunter who died in a training accident in 1943 in Georgia. He was a member of the class of 1942 at Clemson University and apparently a scholarship had been set up in his honor. There are quite a few online articles about him but unfortunately nothing that lists his service number to match it up. He's listed in Officer Register lists but no service number. I also can't find him in AAD (not uncommon).

Hopefully if someone has access to the official accident report it might have his service number to either confirm or rule him out.

https://cualumni.clemson.edu/sslpage.aspx?pid=1351
    Lieut Miles Rapley Hunter, Jr (1921 - 1943) - Find A Grave Memorial
    Last edited by aurelius180; 09-09-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Hi Ed

Your detective work is brilliant, and thanks very much for your time and effort in doing the research.

What a sad end to a very talented young man with so much potential in the years ahead of him.

Very best wishes

Bob

?

"Hopefully if someone has access to the official accident report it might have his service number to either confirm or rule him out."

I will have a look Ed.
    I found Miles R Hunter and Malcolm R Hunter on one of my accident investigation site. The former's was in 1945. I will dig some more and see if I can find the actual reports. I have the sites saved on my Fav's at work and will check tomorrow.

Awesome work Ed! You need to hook me up with your crystal ball secrets. .

Just a note: I used the find a grave site before and at the bottom there is the "Leave flowers and a note". I found my Uncle's B17's pilot grave site and left a message with my condolences. 2 years later I was contacted by the Daughter of that Pilot and have since received copies of his POW logbook and also pictures of his continued career in the USAF.
    Just a thought

Semper Fi
    Phil

Wow Phil! That's great that the pilot's daughter provided you with copies of the logbook and pictures!

I found two records for a Malcolm R Hunter. One enlisted in the AAF Reserves in 1942 as a Pvt with a Service Number of 14101679. The other was drafted in 1945 without a branch assignment as a Pvt with a Service Number of 33911863.

I hope Phil has some luck finding a Service Number for Miles.

?

Thanks Ed, It was awesome. I got an email saying " Thank you for your kind comments about my Dad". I only knew who it was by her last name " Fioretti". But I didn't know where she had seen my comment. I had written proudly about these guy's on several site and when I asked which site did you see my comments. She told me that a friend had seen it on Find A Grave and told her about it. It was a JACKPOT for me. I had searched him for since 2010. I called every Fioretti in the Erie, PA.(Home town) area to here " Nope Not Me". She was living in TX. It was one of those researchers "OH YEAH" Moments!!! I told them about Phil(Left Waist Gunner) the only guy alive from that B17 crew and they went to visit him at his home. You can't ask for anything better than that. Sad part was that Fioretti who was Shot down and a POW at Stalag Luft III and made it to Col. flying B47, B52 and was the Deputy Commander of a base in Alaska. Died of a heart attack on his way back to his base after attending training. The family never got his uniforms or personnel items!!!

This is why I do what I do!!!! And I love it . I will continue to keep the memory of those Men Alive!!!!!.

Back to Bob's visor. I found Miles R Hunter Jr. accident report but they want $30 for me to see it and get copies. I am going to ask them if the service number matches what Bob's visor has before going further. If it does, I will be back to see if Bob want's to go further. If not the search will continue!!!

Ed the Malcolm R Hunter who I found was involved in a Aircraft accident report in 1945. But I'm not sure what Rank he was. I'm still working that one. Our TACAN went down today at work so I spent my day troubleshooting instead of cruising the WWW. Will try again Sunday when I'm back to work!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I sent an email to the site I mentioned, requesting to find out if Miles R Hunter, service number O 8080666 is our guy listed in the accident report. I will let you all know as soon as I find out.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Well I got a reply and this is what the gent said.

"Unfortunately this is not a match. Miles R Hunter's service number was 0-461649."

So the search will continue!!!!!
    I will try the Malcolm R Hunter I found in the 1945 accident report.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks heaps for your detective work Phil.

Fingers crossed

Cheers

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast