Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww2 British Bush hat

Article about: Hi, just picked up this great piece. Came of the collectors guild. Sweat band is missing, however that is common. Its possible to see stiching marks on the edge of the hat. Plus the ventilat

Default ww2 British Bush hat

Hi, just picked up this great piece.
    Came of the collectors guild.
    Sweat band is missing, however that is common.
    Its possible to see stiching marks on the edge of the hat.
    Plus the ventilation holes are in good condition.
    However, if anyone can provide information about the flash, i would be very grateful.
    Enjoy
    Cheers
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 British Bush hat   ww2 British Bush hat  

ww2 British Bush hat   ww2 British Bush hat  

ww2 British Bush hat   ww2 British Bush hat  

ww2 British Bush hat  

Default Re: ww2 British Bush hat

Hard to date one of these without its sweatband, which is a shame and also hard to say which nation manufactured it. I have seen some Aussie examples that have a trim sewn to the brim, but I can't remember if they are wartime or post war. How many vent holes does it have on each side and is the flash blue/white/blue? Is the side of the brim just folded up or is it attached some how? A nice slouch hat mate.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Hard to date one of these without its sweatband, which is a shame and also hard to say which nation manufactured it. I have seen some Aussie examples that have a trim sewn to the brim, but I can't remember if they are wartime or post war. How many vent holes does it have on each side and is the flash blue/white/blue? Is the side of the brim just folded up or is it attached some how? A nice slouch hat mate.
    Hi Jerry, the middle color is a pinkish white.
    The side is folded up and stays there by its own.
    Has a pair ventilation holes on each side of the hat.
    Each pair has a total of 16 small holes.

The flash might, if the center pink stripe has bleached out from red be Guards, though it is probably Royal West Kent regiment according to my friend Kev.
    Regards,

Jerry

The flash might, if the center pink stripe has bleached out from red be Guards, though it is probably Royal West Kent regiment according to my friend Kev.
    Ill drop a line to IWM and to the Royal West Kent Regiment museum.
    Hoping to see if they can assist on this matter.
    Thanks Jerry.

Hi, got a reply from the west kent museum today.
    Not the reply i was hoping for.

"Hi Antonio,

Don’t think it is West Kent. The blue is right but the centre section should be grey if it was us. I have forwarded your inquiry to a friend who is an expert in British Army flashes. I‘ll be in touch as soon as I hear.

Cheers"

Later on i had sort of confirmation.

"I have had a chat with my friend about the flash and the hat. He does not recognise the flash and like me, I am afraid, has a few reservations about the hat. It doesn’t look quite right for WWII. Looks a bit like more modern Gurkha issue - The felt is incorrect quality for WW2, there is no leather sweat band, no visible press-stud to "flap-up", the rim is stitched (which they were not), the ventilation holes look "Gurkha".

There goes the West Kent theory.
    Cheers
    Nuno

I did wonder if the hat was WWII as some of its features which I asked you about did not look right and a ghurka hat is probably correct, though a shame if it is post war. The war time ghurka hats had two slouch hats sewn together.

Can you get a refund from the seller as it was wrongly described?
    Regards,

Jerry

I did wonder if the hat was WWII as some of its features which I asked you about did not look right and a ghurka hat is probably correct, though a shame if it is post war. The war time ghurka hats had two slouch hats sewn together.

Can you get a refund from the seller as it was wrongly described?
    Hi Jerry.
    I will certainly tell the seller about this.
    But i will still keep the hat.
    It looks cool even if post war.

I will do more research in order to find and get a nice period original one.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast