Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British flying helmet?

Article about: My Mum dragged this out of her attic this week, I used to play 'war' with this on my head when I was about 6 years old! Can anyone tell me anything about it please? Many thanks Nick

Default WW2 British flying helmet?

My Mum dragged this out of her attic this week, I used to play 'war' with this on my head when I was about 6 years old!

Can anyone tell me anything about it please?

Many thanks

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British flying helmet?   WW2 British flying helmet?  

WW2 British flying helmet?   WW2 British flying helmet?  

WW2 British flying helmet?  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

RAF "C" Type. WW2. Used from mid 1941 and into the 50's.

Nice item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you Ade Shame I don't have the goggles to go with it !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Yes indeed, I beleive you will find that this is the earlier type which does not have the fittings for the electrical loom, which if I remember correctly dates it 41-44. Perhaps somebody else will confirm. Doug

Doug is correct. This is the earlier issue.

The later ones have an open slot at the rear (under the buckle) which allows the wiring for the headsets to pass through between the outer leather and the liner. There is another set of holes near the ear pieces which the wring then comes out of.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Maybe one of your "Mum's" suitor's forgot this under the bed back in the day Nick...

Quote by IllinoisCornFarmer90 View Post
    Maybe one of your "Mum's" suitor's forgot this under the bed back in the day Nick...
    Ha! Ha! Now there's a thought !

Nick

Is this going to lead to another collecting venture?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Is this going to lead to another collecting venture?
    Well maybe Ade ! I have a bit of a desire for WW2 RAF at the moment but I think I would like some more Japanese items first. Not taking my eye off TR of course

Nick

So many of these type "c" had there earcups removed and sold off in the thousands to motoring clubs postwar.nice to see one with everything attached.