Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British slouch hat

Article about: Just bought this one and waiting for it to arrive. It was advertised as being a New Zealand example, but it is British made and broad arrow stamped and dated 1942. It appears to have been si

Default WW2 British slouch hat

Just bought this one and waiting for it to arrive. It was advertised as being a New Zealand example, but it is British made and broad arrow stamped and dated 1942. It appears to have been signed by the owners friends?

Better pics will be posted when it arrives.

I also bought a pith helmet from the same seller and that will be posted in another thread ASAP.
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 British slouch hat  WW2 British slouch hat  WW2 British slouch hat  WW2 British slouch hat  WW2 British slouch hat 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: WW2 British slouch hat

This arrived today along with the pith helmet from the same seller.

A bit of mothing which was visible in the sellers pics and it has a lot of writing on it, some of which I can read. you can also see where the chinstrap was cut off a long time ago and was probably period done, a common modification I think.

His name appears to have been according to the writing on the top of the dome, which says as far as I think I can read it;

"with best wishes and true compliments to Ernie "Skipper" Williams from the WRVS ????"

Under the brim it says, " to a good boss, lots of love ???????? ????????"

On the brim it says, " Paddy Harold Scotland"

In other places it is signed, I think, "Eric Boxal-Hunt" "S. Bailey" "RG BAll" and "???? Thomas Edinburgh" and a lot more that I can't read as yet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British slouch hat   WW2 British slouch hat  

WW2 British slouch hat   WW2 British slouch hat  

Regards,

Jerry

What a great purchase Jerry.
    I love these hats.
    Its on my to buy list.
    Again, fantastic find mate.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    What a great purchase Jerry.
    I love these hats.
    Its on my to buy list.
    Again, fantastic find mate.
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    Thanks Nuno, I have been after a slouch hat for a long time and though some would argue that the writing detracts from it, I think it is a great addition to my collection. A shame about the moth damage, but it is 70 years old and I can live with that.
    Regards,

Jerry

I got two hits in the London Gazette on one of the names on the hat, Eric (James) Boxall-Hunt which I think is probably the same person who was appointed 2nd Lt on the 17th July 1943 with the Royal Army Ordinance Corps and was then made a full Lt in 1948 with seniority backdated to Jan 1944.
    Regards,

Jerry

G'day Jerry, what a great slouch hat mate! It has real character with all the signatures. Someone was obviously a very popular lad for so many to show their appreciation in this way. Great score mate!

Great bit of history.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

i really like this hat Jerry coupled with the period writting and signitures very unique and special ,thanks for showing
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    i really like this hat Jerry coupled with the period writting and signitures very unique and special ,thanks for showing
    Thanks James. The seller also had this pith which is flashed to the RAOC which makes the id of the former owner of the slouch hat as a member of the corps seem very likely.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British slouch hat  
    Last edited by Jerry B; 01-21-2016 at 09:48 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry