Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WWII flying hat? Anyone know what type?

Article about: Hi all, I was hoping you could help me. I have inherited this flying hat and am wondering its origins, and what it may be worth as I believe it would be better in the hands of a collector th

The Hoff
    ?

Default WWII flying hat? Anyone know what type?

Hi all,
    I was hoping you could help me. I have inherited this flying hat and am wondering its origins, and what it may be worth as I believe it would be better in the hands of a collector than sitting in my shed draw. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The Hoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII flying hat? Anyone know what type?   WWII flying hat? Anyone know what type?  

WWII flying hat? Anyone know what type?  

?

Default Re: WWII flying hat? Anyone know what type?

Hi Hoff looks like a type C Or even a D Tropical Helmut it has had Gossport Tube added to it which were not standard

Greg

Hi Hoff, welcome to the forum!

I would agree with Greg. British issue.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello, It looks to be a WW2 RAF D-type 'tropical' flying helmet with gossport tubes as stated by Studly. The flap at the back is to offer protection from the sun and these are quite often removed.
    I have never seen one with gossport tubes added, these suggest that it has been used in a training enviroment (biplanes, etc).
    As for value, they are not as expensive as their leather counterparts (albeit rarer). On Ebay they command a price around the £80 - £150 mark, dealers charging £150 - £200+. Usually items from a training enviroment command a lower value, however, as I have never seen a tropical helmet with Gossports you may get a bit more. (As with anything militaria if you can add to the history of the item (with proof!!) with details of who it belonged to, photographs, etc it will make it more desirable, hence, more expensive)

?

i Have seen These D Type Helmets issued to Fleet Air Arm Pilots as well, i have some pics somewhere i will have to dig up

Greg

The Hoff
    ?

Thank you everyone for your assistance. Unfortunately the only person who may have been able to give me some history departed us when I was a boy. He was a crazy Dutchman who imigrated to Australia in the 50s or 60s I think. I never knew his family or his history as they were all in Holand. So I guess the origin is a mistery, however there is some faint serial numbers on it, I wonder if they might give some origins to it.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Hello, It looks to be a WW2 RAF D-type 'tropical' flying helmet with gossport tubes as stated by Studly. The flap at the back is to offer protection from the sun and these are quite often removed.
    I have never seen one with gossport tubes added, these suggest that it has been used in a training enviroment (biplanes, etc).
    As for value, they are not as expensive as their leather counterparts (albeit rarer). On Ebay they command a price around the £80 - £150 mark, dealers charging £150 - £200+. Usually items from a training enviroment command a lower value, however, as I have never seen a tropical helmet with Gossports you may get a bit more. (As with anything militaria if you can add to the history of the item (with proof!!) with details of who it belonged to, photographs, etc it will make it more desirable, hence, more expensive)

You guys nailed it........here is a photo from m.prodgers book vintage flying helmets..page 209.......................dave h
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII flying hat? Anyone know what type?