Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

101st Tab

Article about: Hi guys, looking for the heads up with this, i am told it is a late variant but war time dated, any help would be great, thanks Steve.

Default 101st Tab

Hi guys, looking for the heads up with this, i am told it is a late variant but war time dated, any help would be great, thanks
    Steve.
    101st Tab
    101st Tab
    101st Tab
    101st Tab
    101st Tab
    101st Tab

Steve,

The 101 patch looks to be a Type 10 based on Mark Bando's book/website "Trigger Time". Is the tab attached on one side, and loose on the other? I am seeing masking tape in some of the shots, so I am assuming that the tab is not completely attached...If the tab is attached on the one side, it is known that the vast majority of type 10's have an attached AIRBORNE tab...

If the tab is not attached, then it was married up with the Eagle patch and I believe this may be a "Type 1" tab, but I am not 100% sure...

The scribble eye details also appear to have been done with single strands of thread which is another indicator of the Eagle patch being a Type 10...

Now the next question is this... IS this or was this worn during WW2.. Well without provenance we will never know for sure unless it was given to you by a Veteran of the 101st from WW2, but that too is speculation unless you have a wartime photo of said patch on a uniform,, etc., etc.…. The company that made Type 10 patches during WW2 continued to produce these type of patches well after WW2 and up to the late 60's.. In 1968 the merrow edge 101st Patch was introduced (This was known as the Type 14 variant)…

I am hoping that Phill Lockett will see this and hopefully shed some more light on what your have..

Smitty

Thanks Smitty, masking tape carefully removed, the tab has two pieces, not sure if this helps.
    101st Tab
    101st Tab
    101st Tab
    101st Tab

Steve,

I will stand by the first assessment that the Eagle is type 10 and the tab is a type 1..

When I get home I will look further at my references and confirm...

Based on what I am seeing though, I believe both to be WW2 era just 2 different patches that were married together at some point in time..

Smitty

Hi guys

In my collection this sits in the post WWII era c 1955-1966 period.
    This is based on embroidery style and the khaki twill extending further , which during WWII (all SSI)was hand cut back to the edge , the 1950's they were left exposed.
    I think sometimes collectors might be confused with the 101st eye , khaki cut edge of WWII era, however this style was in use up to the 1960's.

Here is several that are similar but not exact.

101st Tab 101st Tab

101st Tab 101st Tab

Phill

Phill,

Thank you for your assessment and information..

Smitty

Thank you Smitty

I have had discussions on another forum , when a author of a book confirmed a 101st was WWII/late WWII because it was one piece embroidered on black twill solid black eye , I disagreed and said it was post war 1950's. Well he was not impressed, threw his toys and started citing Bando's site blah blah blah and of course I responded, cut a long story short I emailed a friend who knows MB and Mark said it post WWII 1950's!

The point I was making was on the forum was not only embroidery style but also context.

MB had produced what the most common eagles he had collected from hundreds of veterans he interviewed over the years, then put into Types.

He then had numerous other eagles that he grouped within those types that were close to that but not exact and so he produced a small booklet which he shows more slightly different variations within the types.

My best advise to anyone is a )research b) post on a forum opinions,before buying c) make contact with an experience individual and go from there.

I am comfortable that this patch is 1950's-60's. I have seen that airborne embroidered style tab with 1950's 60's patches(not WWII) and the patch doesn't fit that embroidered style that im familiar with WWII era eagles.

By the way Smitty have been extremely busy collecting OEF/OIF period theatre made(and US made 2001 onwards) patches over the last 12 months. Lots of patches from AFG/Kuwait/Iraq /Qatar unit / element TF, RA, ANG, AR to moral patches and tones of research has been done.

Phill

Thanks guys, i have informed the seller who will hopefully view this post.
    Result, the seller aquired this and many other the SOS show in the states in which he is to visit again this year, we have agreed to exchange this for an earlier variant, thanks for all of the input.
    Last edited by greatwhite; 01-07-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Phill,

Thanks again for your informative post.. I knew that you would contribute and offer your scholarly advice..

I may have some extra theater made OIF/OEF patches.. I will look for you my friend...

Best regards

Smitty

Hi Smitty

Will PM you

GW even respectable sellers get them wrong because they have seen and handle thousands of eagles and also have other staff members adding to their websites without checking.
    There were probably more post WWII eagle variation than one thinks and many different embroiders made them , they also used the same tape cards ( that were made to direct the embroidery machine frame /pentograph to form the embroidery pattern) from WWII hence you get the same design 10-20 yrs later.

GW that seller you got it from is a good dealer , money back guaranteed and he wouldn't know how to tell all credit to him.

Phill