Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

1944 British Para Helmet

Article about: After checking out various posts on this forum I decided to dig out my old para helmet. I completed around 60 military jumps with this helmet between 1973 -83 whilst serving with 10 Para and

Default 1944 British Para Helmet

After checking out various posts on this forum I decided to dig out my old para helmet. I completed around 60 military jumps with this helmet between 1973 -83 whilst serving with 10 Para and yet I had no idea it was dated 1944 or that it has a name scratched into the leather liner. I covered the shell with a DPM camo hood from a infantry issue DPM jacket when I was issued it, on its removal I found that the 1970's Olive green paint had areas of Black spray paint added some of this old paint came off when the camo was removed. It also looks like it once had a coat of desert paint (maybe Suez/Aden era). The name: D RICHARDSON ..... PLATOON is scratched into the liner. I have attached images that may be helpful to other forum members.

Barry1944 British Para Helmet1944 British Para Helmet1944 British Para Helmet1944 British Para Helmet

?

Nice helmet also worth a few quid now days...& if you did 60 odds jumps with half of a Sherman tank on your head I would buy a pint if we ever met!!! You done well there.. I have done a few jumps myself but with the new g*y helmet which is a lot lighter & 101% more comfortable lol.. Excellnet helmet & thanks for showing Cheers Terry.

Thanks Terry, look forward to that pint! When the Kevlar lids first came in I was one of the last in the company to change over. The new helmet did not have a chin cup at first and having seen one or two helmets part company with heads on exit & the plastic coated nylon strap ripping. I was happy to keep my Sherman tank. finally had to go over in 83 when I went on my APJI course. I sold my Kevlar lid about 15 years ago.
    Take it easy mate.
    Barry

Awesome helmet with a lot of history. The wartime date is a bonus, as is your personal connection to it.

?

Good example. You using it yourself is neat.

?

So Barry you have done APJI course aswell? My unit asked for blokes to go on that course every now & then ! I used to to hide away from that I didn't like parachuting on the best of days...Only did as apart of my job..lol....Cheers Terry.

Hi Terry, done my basic at Abingdon 1975 & APJI at Brize Norton in 1983. Broke my leg on a night Balloon jump at Hullavington, doing extra jumps after completing the course. Broke it again 9 weeks later at Hankley common.
    Airborne!
    What mob were you with?
    Barry.

Thanks Spitace41

Cheers Steve, won't ever sell it. most of the sweat in that liner is mine! had a couple of near death experiences in that helmet.

?

I've just PM you Barry..Cheers Terry.