Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?

Article about: I have had the below beret for about 15 - 20 years. As you can see it is well worn, however I cannot find any marks where a badge would have been. There are no holes in the material (outside

Default 1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?

I have had the below beret for about 15 - 20 years. As you can see it is well worn, however I cannot find any marks where a badge would have been. There are no holes in the material (outside or inside) where the prongs or slider of a badge would have gone through and I cannot see any stitching marks or degradation of the material on the outside which would suggest a badge was sewn on.
    Any ideas of what badge it would have had or would it have not had one?

Default Re: 1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?

It should have always had a cap badge on it. But as you say, there is no evidence of this one ever having one in place. Odd.

But still a nice worn item.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Nice beret!Sent you a PM.

?

Hi Grimebox, just found this older thread. Very nice Beret in a size 7. with the "M'' ...This maybe of some help, I know that most Para's ( not all ) were given a second issue later in service ( But most guys kept there first beret safe and never swapped over ) . My Dad had one also issued later but he gave it to his sister in law who wanted to wear it, all the fashion back then.

Cheer's,Mark

Cheers for that info Mark, you may well have answered the question!

P.S . I have been watching your other threads, very interesting, I especailly like the photos of your Dad. I don't know if you have seen any of my other threads but I have an interest in escape equipment. Does your Dad recall what, if any, equipment he was issued, i.e silk maps, compasses, etc?

?

Hi Grimebox,
    Thank you for the interest in my threads.My Dad, has just handed over all of his bits and pieces and I'm trying to gather a little more information about them. I have found the people on this forum most enjoyable and helpful.
    Yes,I have looked at your other threads ( I like the pencils ) and the small compasses and maps,you have a great selection of maps.
    I have placed some pics for you and everybody else to have a look at.Not much of a collection but they still mean alot to me .My Dad, was issued these 2 silk or fabric cloth books ,they are to help a soldier with regards to survival and communication with tribes in the jungle.They are very much orientated to the Japanese theater and helping to stay clear of them. Also issued was a small compass which you could hide or swallow and use later. But I would not want to do that
    As my Dad was an NCO for a time he carried this standard larger compass also.The little brass object was also belonging to my Dad. I think its some type of booby trap device, It has Mk III stamped on it . Maybe your good self or other readers of this thread may be able to help with its Identification.

1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?1944 Kangol Para Beret - What badge did it have?.

Cheer's, Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. I have never seen an escape compass like that before (as you have seen I have a few! - as an aside the Yanks use to call them 'butthole' or 'asshole' compasses for obvious reasons, swallowing them doesn't sound quite as bad now does it!?). It is interesting to note that the Far Eastern Survival booklet that I have is made of paper unlike yours which is made of fabric (probably Rayon). As for the brass object, I have no idea! It looks like some sort of fuse or firing system - you may want to start a thread in the Ordanance and ammo section and see if you can get any answers there.
    As for it being a small collection, you have the history and even better it was your fathers which makes it infinitely more interesting than most of the items I have!

?

Hi , maybe the small compass was not used for emergency or escape. When I speak to my Dad, I will ask more. I looked at your compasses and they do look different. Yes , I did see the book you had in your collection and it looks the same.These ones I have can get wet and you just dry them out again.I will ask about the brass fuse ??? I will see if he can remember what it was used for.

Cheer's Mark

You definetly have an escape compass, it's just one that I haven't seen before. There were numerous manufacturers and designs and due the very reasons they were designed there is very limited information on who made them and how many were made.

?

Hi Grimebox, I asked today about the compass . It is a WW2 RAF issue micro compass from the emergency ditch kit. It belonged to my Dads cousin who was a Flight engineer flying Halifax's over Germany. As my Dad was a little younger than him, he gave it to him as a curio keep sake . It was not issued to my Dad. The other Brass device is used as a detonator. It will except on the end a 303 cartridge. There is a firing pin at the other end which is spring loaded.The pin has a hole which you could insert a nail all something .Once the nail is dislodged the firing pin hits the cartridge. Bang ! I would think this would be used with other parts to make it all come together and cause a problem for something or someone.

Cheer's Mark