MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

'44 Dated Denison Smock prices

Article about: I ‘d just watch the dry verdigris which have formed on those press studs, wet verdigris does little damage but is highly toxic, however as the chemical reaction develops it turns into a copp

?

Default Re: '44 Dated Denison Smock prices

I ‘d just watch the dry verdigris which have formed on those press studs, wet verdigris does little damage but is highly toxic, however as the chemical reaction develops it turns into a copper carbonate oxide layer which due to the cocktail of other chemicals involved can weaken the brass, and also make it very brittle. Basically the verdigris has got to the stage that its now start to breaking down the brass into its separate alloyed components.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by lugerfan View Post
    Hi – Thanks all for you posts so far.

I managed to get a better look and a couple of pictures of the smock today. It’s got the following details;

Brass Newey poppers marked 201436-22, most of them are showing signs of age, some look white in the photos, but they are not nickel, just suffering from some corrosion that I guess would clean up.

A Zipp marked “Gripper Zipper” – that's a new one on me

A label showing it was made by L Silberston & Son Ltd 1944

The camo looks quite strong, but there are quite a few wear marks, the cuffs and bottom seams are worn through in places & there are some holes from wear (not moth).

So all in all not in mint condition, but its perhaps its got more of a character for it.

Given the photos below, does £500 upwards still sound OK, or would the condition reduce this. Not buying to sell on to make a profit, but don’t want to waste money.

Thanks chaps, hopefully the images are all working below…
    I have had two of these in similar condition to yours, both also 44 dated if I recall, one was for sure. I have sold them both now but they averaged at about £500 each, one was about 10 years ago and the other only about 3 years ago. One had a post war installed full length zip which gave it a slightly lower price. If you came to resell yours you should be able to break even more or less, as Ade says, they won't drop in price.

Quote by Nige H View Post
    I ‘d just watch the dry verdigris which have formed on those press studs, wet verdigris does little damage but is highly toxic, however as the chemical reaction develops it turns into a copper carbonate oxide layer which due to the cocktail of other chemicals involved can weaken the brass, and also make it very brittle. Basically the verdigris has got to the stage that its now start to breaking down the brass into its separate alloyed components.

Nige.
    Excellent observations Nige! I'll save that little titbit for future use

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2