Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

508 pir in Nottingham 1944

Article about: Shame on me really, only just got round to a visit of Wollaton Hall home of the 508 PIR, pre d-day and Holland, really strange that the guys also had a game of baseball at Meadow Lane home o

Default 508 pir in Nottingham 1944

Shame on me really, only just got round to a visit of Wollaton Hall home of the 508 PIR, pre d-day and Holland,
    really strange that the guys also had a game of baseball at Meadow Lane home of Notts County Football Club who i happen to follow, the Red Devils defeated the Panthers i understand . some pictures of the small display at the hall and a memorial.
    Steve

some of the guys at the hall

and part of the baseball team

Nottingham is my home town too.

The museum display was created by the late Dave Pike. He was a very good friend of mine. Dave wrote a good book about the 508th in Nottingham. It is online here:

http://www.508pir.org/pdf_files/pike_1st_half.pdf

and here

http://www.508pir.org/pdf_files/pike_2nd_half.pdf

I met many Veterans from the 508th PIR back in the 1980's when many of them used to come to Nottingham as part of their re-union tours to Normandy and Nijmegen.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Good stuff.
    chris

?

Wollaton hall is not that far from me, I must go back there soon

Yes get down when you can, not a massive display but very informative, its not in the main hall, go through the shop and it is in there.
    Ade, you must have heard some stories from the vets bud, one can only try to imagine the living nightmare those guys went into, respect where it is due and those boys deserve it Nijmegen has its own story.

This keeps getting recommended to me but I have not looked into it and didn't realise there was much there. I too will have to make the trip as i'm not too far away.

its a good day for all of the family, great park for the kids, the main hall full of interest, cafe, huge grounds to explore and of course the connection with 508th,,, i tried to imagine the camp at the bottom of the hill overlooked by the hall

When the guys were posted there and got off the Barton buses used as transport, they thought they were in Nottingham Castle. There were deer in the Park, as there are today. Several got their Garands out and started to shoot them! They had to be quickly told they were property of the King!

There is some good film footage of the guys in the Park and marching in battle order through Tollerton and Plumtree (Local villages). I used to have this on VHS video.

Tom Porcella (shown in one of the photos) was a regular at the re-unions and I met him many times.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Wow, i can just imagine the guys pinging a few rounds at the deer,, easiest hunting they ever had.
    the memorial itself looks like it could do with some TLC, hey guys this would be a great place for a forum meet up.

Had another visit to the park and noticed another small memorial on the other side of the park,,,, i no idea POW`s were there too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast