Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Airborne Curved Title

Article about: Gidday all Would this be a WWII era curved title and also , whether yay or nay, what is its history being worn. Much appreciated in advance. Phill

Thanks for clarifying lucN.

It did cross my mind if it was used for "other staff" and good to know mid to late war use.
    I think as collectors its good to get more info on the whys and what for.

Thanks again

Phill

Airborne Forces came into being officially in February 1942 with the formation of the Army Air Corps. To recognise this fact the curved AIRBORNE title was introduced in printed and embroidered form. In August 1942 the Glider Pilot Regiment and Parachute Regiment were formed as Units of the Army Air Corps, each receiving their respective shoulder titles. despite this introduction the wearing of the curved AIRBORNE title continued as there is photographic evidence of it being worn by ' frontline ' personel through and up to the end of the war.

Thanks for the information prosty , photographic evidence is a must when dealing with insignia especially for short lived patches.

Phill

I wonder on what date my straight example was worn?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airborne Curved Title  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

the AIRBORNE strip was primarily introduced for the 'supporting units' of Airborne Forces, although they were quickly taken up by the main players . nothing like an armful for the Esprit de Corps !

?

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    the curved AIRBORNE title was introduced in printed and embroidered form
    The only early embroidered example was the socalled serif type as attached as far as I'm aware. The one shown by Phil is mid to late war, at least I have never seen it in pictures earlier than that.

Airborne Curved Title

Affirmative, perhaps I should have elaborated more. the printed curved AIRBORNE and embroidered serif AIRBORNE were relatively short lived being superceded by the other titles discussed. will look through pics to illustrate the curved Roman style AIRBORNE title being worn by the coal face.
    1945 minus 1939 = 6, divided by 2 = mid

Embroidered titles.
    photo January 1943 , Roman style lettering.
    photo July 1943, Serif style lettering.
    the chap with Roman did D-Day and Arnhem ops, the chap with Serif did Sicily.
    as related before, the Serif title was the earlier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airborne Curved Title   Airborne Curved Title  

Last edited by prosty zolnierz; 03-30-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks Prosty

Great to show documented proof and the difference in calligraphy and time line used.

Phill

Curved Airborne title arrived today, a good original.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast