Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Airborne fuel can colour

Article about: Hi,does anyone know the correct colour of the cylindrical fuel cans dropped to troops.Pics would be nice.Thanks colin.

Default Airborne fuel can colour

Hi,does anyone know the correct colour of the cylindrical fuel cans dropped to troops.Pics would be nice.Thanks colin.

Default Re: Airborne fuel can colour

As far as I know these were the usual olive drab.

If anyone has not seen one of these cans, you can view one here on the equipment page:

Untitled Document

Cheers, Ade.

thank you Ade,you sure are quick off the mark in answering the questions,i found a can on e pay for £15,not bad do you think ?

Bargain!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    As far as I know these were the usual olive drab.

If anyone has not seen one of these cans, you can view one here on the equipment page:

Untitled Document

Cheers, Ade.

40 plus years interest in militaria and military history and Ive just learnt something else new!

Thanks for posting the link Ade. I always thought that conventional jerrycans were air-dropped in the containers, just goes to show you learn something new every day.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Ian, my pleasure! These cans are not common. Our living history group (I do British as well as Soviet. In fact, I formed the group) was lucky to buy a few and they make good display items and a nice talking point on displays.

Thinking about this more, I do have a wartime photo of a stack of these cans being packed in CLE drop cannisters. Now finding it in my myriad of books on British Airborne subjects might be a problem...but it will come to me.

Cheers, Ade.

I stripped some paint on mine today,and could only find a sand color as is the inside of the lid.

I have just bought one of these cans today and on looking at the base ,underneath the redlead
    paint that someone had used on it I could see a lot of sand coloured paint. Therefor I tend to think that sand is the original colour.Stamped on the bottom is BPL W___D 1943. John.
    Last edited by Blackpowder44; 06-11-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Airborne fuel can colourAirborne fuel can colourPictures of my can showing areas of sand paint. John.

Hi all,

I have four of these WWII War Department airborne cans in my collection. My only original painted one is in sand colour.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airborne fuel can colour  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast