Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Airborne No ! Mk1 and Mk 2 - differences

Article about: This has probably been covered previously but as I am new to the forum, hope that you will forgive me. Interested to know what differences are between the 2 marks of the British airborne 10c

davidh
    ?

Default Airborne No ! Mk1 and Mk 2 - differences

This has probably been covered previously but as I am new to the forum, hope that you will forgive me. Interested to know what differences are between the 2 marks of the British airborne 10cwt GS No 1 trailer.

Also if anyone has the exact external dimensions of the cargo bin (length and width, do not need height).

Thanks,

DavidH
    Oslo Norway

Default Re: Airborne No ! Mk1 and Mk 2 - differences

Hi David, welcome to the forum!

A bit of confusion here on your part. The GS or General Service trailer is not Airborne issue. The Airborne trailer is a different beast.

I have posted some pics of the GS trailer on the forum from the parts manual.

Sorry I don't have the measurments of the cargo bin. But we have a French member who owns one. Username Froggy.

Cheers, Ade.

davidh
    ?

Thanks, Ade
    But now you are making my life even more complicated. We have a number of British trailers here in Norway and the Norskies have a tendency to call all British trailers for 'airborne'. I thought that the No 1 Mk 1 + Mk 2 (with the smoooth sides and frame within the floor) were 'airborne', and the No 2 (with the profiles on the outside of the body and the frame under the body) were later and not 'airborne'. I have a No 2 just as does Svenn here who I think also is on this forum.
    So now I must ask, what is the definition of a real 'airborne' trailer ?

Thanks,

DavidH

Hi David, now I understand. The General Service trailers have wooden bodies. Airborne trailers are not called "General Service", this is where the confusion has arisen

All the trailers you describe are Airborne. Just the No.2 is very late war and saw only a little use.

Cheers, Ade.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.