Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British airborne insignia

Article about: My collection of British Airborne forces insignia, part 1. The iconic parachute qualification wings, three examples of the WWII issued types, all a different variation.

And to round of my small collection is a set of Para wings

British airborne insigniaBritish airborne insignia

Cheers
    Gary

Quote by Ludford101 View Post
    And to round of my small collection is a set of Para wings

British airborne insigniaBritish airborne insignia

Cheers
    Gary
    Very nice wings Gary, they have the "flaw" midway up the wings which is seen on so many wartime wings that it must be a deliberate feature, though the knotted rigging and the form of the canopy are not so common, making them a lovely set
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Gary ,

All lovely genuine pieces there !
    Jim

Hi Jerry ,

Not only do the Peggies seem to be breeding; but the cap badge ranks seem to be growing in strength
    Great thread !

Jim

Thanks Jim and Jerry ...

Have just registered with the Britishairborne site and recognise a few names ...

Gary

Thanks for showing Jerry.

Great informative thread.

Phill

Quote by waffen44 View Post
    Hi Jerry ,

Not only do the Peggies seem to be breeding; but the cap badge ranks seem to be growing in strength
    Great thread !

Jim
    Thanks Jim.

I don't know what happened, I started with just one or two and then suddenly there were a dozen or more.

- - ------- - -

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Thanks for showing Jerry.

Great informative thread.

Phill
    Thanks Phil.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    They really seem to vary in detail!....
    The problem with British cloth badges is that many different makers and contracts were involved with each badge but also it has always been perfectly acceptable to purchase and wear badges from virtually any open market source as long as it conforms in general to the design without major deviation. This is especially true of parachute wings which makes them very hard to quantify.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The "lightbulb" (or parachutists badge without wings), issued to parachute trained troops who were not paratroopers, such air landing or glider borne troops. Post war it was issued to those who had completed the basic para course, but in practice everyone wears the wings regardless of if they ever served with a parachute unit.
    Great set of items you have there Jerry,

Just a slight correction if you will forgive;

The lightbulb badge is for pers who complete a basic parachute course (without a selection process). Glider troops did not wear it because they did not parachute.

Only pers who have completed Pre-parachute selection (P Company - very gruelling trust me) and the extended parachute course may wear the wings badge. This is very jealously guarded and anyone not so qualified who wore para wings would be very seriously looked on. It would be a dress regs offence but that would be the least of their problems when found out

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I managed to add another Airborne India Pegasus to my collection to make a very nearly matching facing pair.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British airborne insignia  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast