Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

British BSA folding "Parabike"

Article about: Speaking of para bikes...does anyone have any manuals or any information regarding how they Brits tested the folding bikes? Does anyone know of any bikes that were actually airdropped? Did t

Default Re: British BSA folding "Parabike"

Hi Gary, it is possible to find the parts, but it is not that easy even here in the UK. I think I would pass at that price though.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

That's what I thought so thanks for the confirmation!

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gary, it is possible to find the parts, but it is not that easy even here in the UK. I think I would pass at that price though.

Cheers, Ade.

zoe gingell
    ?

My twin sister Christabel and I are researching the history of the bicycle in warfare for a possible TV documentary ( I am an independant producer and she is a director. We have already met and filmed a veteran of the D-day landings who used a folding bicycle on the beaches of Normandy and want to clarify certain aspects of the BSA design. We would also like to talk to someone who owns one and knows the history of these amazing things. We are pitching our treatment fairly soon to the BBC and would love to talk to you - please could you call us tonight if posisble or tomorrow on : 07930 433352.

many thanks and looking forward to speaking to you, as we are sure you can be a valued source of information.

Zoë Gingell

Hi Zoë, welcome to the forum!

I will give you a call.

Cheers, Ade.

Just left my number on your answer phone

i have a second pattern folding para bike. the guy i got it off some years ago was visiting relatives in the usa. one of their neighbors on learning of his interest in mvs etc, told him he had a british army folding bike in his garage. he had owned it for a long time. apparantly some went to dealers in the states as war suplus stock and this guy bought it to use as a regular push bike. my friend bought from him, and on his return to the uk brought it back on the plane with him. it has a usa "car type" number plate attached to it by wire. it seems at the time you had to register bikes like cars, in at least this us state.i have never removed it yet as i think it all adds to its history. the bike is still in its original paint with war grade tyres and small saddlebag.if i can figure how to do it i will post a picture soon.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I think you are certainly doing the right thing re the number plate. An interesting bit of history and a nice talking point.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I assume this is an experimental way of carrying the bike into battle?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British BSA folding "Parabike"  

Hi Luc, that method was still one of the recommended methods in the 1945 RAF manual.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by panelvan View Post
    i have a second pattern folding para bike. the guy i got it off some years ago was visiting relatives in the usa. one of their neighbors on learning of his interest in mvs etc, told him he had a british army folding bike in his garage. he had owned it for a long time. apparantly some went to dealers in the states as war suplus stock and this guy bought it to use as a regular push bike. my friend bought from him, and on his return to the uk brought it back on the plane with him. it has a usa "car type" number plate attached to it by wire. it seems at the time you had to register bikes like cars, in at least this us state.i have never removed it yet as i think it all adds to its history. the bike is still in its original paint with war grade tyres and small saddlebag.if i can figure how to do it i will post a picture soon.
    hi , here are some pictures of my bike. except for the 2 small saddlebags which have been added since, everything else including the painted on numbers is as was when my friend got it from the u.s.a. the tyres are original war grade .its number is R31618. cheers mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British BSA folding "Parabike"   British BSA folding "Parabike"  

British BSA folding "Parabike"   British BSA folding "Parabike"  

British BSA folding "Parabike"   British BSA folding "Parabike"  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast