Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Denison Smock 1943

Article about: Hey everyone, Is this an original denison smock? From looking at other examples, it seems that the tag on this jacket is slightly different than most; the others that I have seen have "

Default British Denison Smock 1943

Hey everyone,

Is this an original denison smock? From looking at other examples, it seems that the tag on this jacket is slightly different than most; the others that I have seen have "Airborne Troops" in parenthesis. These are the only photos I have from the seller at the moment. Thanks in advance, excited to hear back!

Have a good one,

Quinn

?

I think it is from 1948, not 1943 as they had not been issued at that time.

I'm having the impression that it is an original 2nd pattern smock in good condition and in a decent size, but at some point a dark shade of green has been added to the camo pattern which affects it's value.

Hi
    This is definitely 1948. The top of the 8 elsewhere on the label is curved whilst the top of the 3 is flat. I have one by the same maker, same date and the tag is the same, but I think Luc is right that this one has some extra overpainting. The dark green is very smudgy and the blotches cross over the central seam, but on mine the colours on the two sides do not correspond. If it's not too late to say so, personally I would wait for a better one.
    Cheers,
    W.

?

Hi Quinn I must agree with the gents that this smock has had the date on the tag altered and it would as previously mentioned appear to be over painted with a darker green.
    Here are a few examples of war time and post war Denison labels and a link from an excellent thread over at GHW 2 you may find of some interest.
    (http://www.walhalla.se/topic/28826-denison-smocks/)

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Denison Smock 1943   British Denison Smock 1943  

British Denison Smock 1943   British Denison Smock 1943  

Unfortunately I can't see that thread as the forum linked to only lets you see the contents once you've joined, which is a bit of a pain if you want to look and see if it's worth joining and getting yet another username and password to add to the hundred+ you already have, but there we are.

Here's my John Gordon and Co 1948 Denison.