Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

British Denison smocks

Article about: Hi, Recon 3690 has this totally wrong and will confuse members. The Denisons issued were, as I classify them: A. 1st Pattern, one piece front and back, knitted wool cuffs, 2 varients with th

Default Denison up for auction.

Hello all,

just thought I'd throw this little lot I've come across at you and see what you think. I regard myself as being of average intelligence except when it comes to (amongst many other things of course) string theory and Denison smocks. My thoughts are that it is early ww2 (brass studs, knitted cuffs) but it has been modified with a long zip. I am of course preparing myself to be shot down in flames!

British Denison smocks

Cheers,

Ian.

Managed to get a picture of the label which is unfortunately illegible!! British Denison smocks
    Last edited by canti44; 02-11-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Just out of interest this lot along with a WW1 leather saddle fetched only £300 which I think is a pretty good deal.
    Last edited by canti44; 02-12-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Not WW2 - the non-matching colours at left and right sides say it's not a converted one-piece front. So it is either the 59 pattern or the previous one converted to full zip. With the small label and those colours my guess is a converted pre-59.

Default Wartime smocks

British Denison smocksBritish Denison smocks

All these smocks were from the early 1980's when you could still find them easily enough........ all had clear date labels and none were faked or messed about with. 1942 smocks did not have the 2 brass fittings on the back for the 'tail', 1943 onwards they had them as can be clearly seen in the 1943 example. I never saw an original wartime smock with anything other than brass fittings. Some 1946 dated ones had brass but after that everything had the nickel plated ones. I came across several smocks converted to full zip, done with para oversmock zips and mainly Officers and some Glider Pilots. To my knowledge there is at least one rubberised material version made by Dunlop ( for trial by Commandos ), I saw it back in the 80's along with examples of early British made versions of the German smock (found in stores at RAF Brize Norton ).They had 2 versions of this, very first had small fasteners, 2nd variation had a larger version fitted.
    In the late 80's early 90's a lot of British made smocks were released by the Belgian Army, these had an extra ABL label sewn into them as well as original wartime labels but every example that I saw had buttons and loops instead of zips...... as far back as 80's and 90's some 1948 smocks were having labels altered or faded to try and make them look like wartime examples but the nickel plated snappers gave them away. ( mainly used by re-enactors ).
    I bought in excess of 100 smocks during those years including one example found in a CCF stores that was still in its' original paper wrapping. When opened it was found to contain a set of spare snaps in one of the top pockets, these were to be retained by the stores to allow for any repairs at a later date........

I bought in excess of 100 smocks during those years including one example found in a CCF stores that was still in its' original paper wrapping. When opened it was found to contain a set of spare snaps in one of the top pockets, these were to be retained by the stores to allow for any repairs at a later date........

A few quids worth these days.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

British Denison smocks

Unlike these........... only ever had 2 in 30 yrs plus..........., both 100% original and uncut.......... even back then they were near impossible to find items.......

My word ardenneswoodwalker what a collection, you should make a whole thread on them!! How many do you have left? William1 thanks for the tip regarding the non-matching colours, that's very useful that, cheers Ian

Default What period this jacket&

Hi Guys!
    I we buy this jacket in Ukraine it s wery unusual bekause thare was no british paratrooppers here. What period is this?

British Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocks[ATTACH=CONFIG]881307[/AoundTTACH]British Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocks

- - ------- - -

Hi Guys!
    I we buy this jacket in Ukraine it s wery unusual bekause thare was no british paratrooppers here. What period is this?

British Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocks[ATTACH=CONFIG]881307[/AoundTTACH]British Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Denison smocks  

?

Quote by matiash View Post
    What period is this?
    Date letter X means it is from 1959, nice smock!

Early first version of the 59 pattern, lovely brushstroke printing, very nice.

Ex army items end up all around the world with any number of reasons how they got there.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast