Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

British Denison smocks

Article about: Hi, Recon 3690 has this totally wrong and will confuse members. The Denisons issued were, as I classify them: A. 1st Pattern, one piece front and back, knitted wool cuffs, 2 varients with th

?

Default Re: British Denison smocks

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ian, no, the first smocks had knit cuffs. The button and tab version came in 1943. But by 1946 the knit cuff came back into use.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me Ade.

Regards etc

Ian

Hi Recon,
    "Hornets nest"
    I do not need to research, my comments are based on fact.
    Your reply does not seem to add any info to the fact that you have missed out on that there is a 3rd pattern Denison that was issued after the 2nd pattern and before the 59 pattern. If you have based your reasoning on an article written, then the author of that article or book is mislead.
    The comments I made are to aid new collectors of Denisons.
    The 3rd pattern may have an official designation but I am not aware of it, but the truth is, if it has a short zip, a 2 piece front and back and knitted cuffs it is "NOT" WW2, it was probabley made by G. DAVIS & CO in 1956, members please study my pictures, do not pay WW2 prices for a smock like this !!, to state that the 3rd picture shown at the start of this thread is a modified '42 pattern is totally wrong and misleading to members, thanks.

British Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocksBritish Denison smocks
    Hi,
    Another 3rd pattern Denison, this was worn on the Suez operation by a REME Sgt attached to the Parachute Regiment.
    Dated 1954 and again made by G. Davis of Manchester. Note the colour scheme, 2 greens and brown on sand.
    The vet has had it altered by adding a full length zip but the back view shows the 2 panels.
    First picture shows it compared to the camo pattern more commonly encountered.

Ok I'm a little confused on this subject, here's mine with a button/tab wrist closure.
    What type/period is this one? +the tag is washed out.

Hi René, yours is a totally original wartime smock. This pattern was only made 1943 to 1945. It is the so called second pattern. But as stated this is just a collectors term and has no official standing.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi René, yours is a totally original wartime smock. This pattern was only made 1943 to 1945. It is the so called second pattern. But as stated this is just a collectors term and has no official standing.

Cheers, Ade.
    Cheers Ade, That's excellent news Thanks again kindly.

Hi,
    I disagree with Ade on this one as the second pattern was also made in 1946 ( nothing simple in this game!)
    Denisons dated 1946 usually have a different pattern of Newey fastner fitted.
    Check the underside of the "female" fastner if it is brass, WW2, if it is Nickel, silver colour it was made in 1946 and post war.
    I cant remember seeing a 2nd pattern dated 1947 or later, perhaps a member has one.
    Hope this helps.

Actually, that is a good point. I had forgot about the post war nickle fasteners versions. Used to own one once as well!

Cheers, Ade.

Well I have a 46 then, not one posted here or mentioned, here's some more detailed pics of the zip and studs- this goes into my post war junk pile enjoy
    Cheers Guys
    Last edited by reneblacky; 10-01-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: text & grammer

Hi René, not "junk", it is still a really nice clean smock with good strong colours and it displays well.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast