Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British issue Para wings

Article about: Hi anyone know an approximate age for these para wings please as you can see the moths were busy on one the other looks unused it has a slight waxy feeling to rear both from same source.

Default British issue Para wings

Hi anyone know an approximate age for these para wings please as you can see the moths were busy on one the other looks unused it has a slight waxy feeling to rear both from same source.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British issue Para wings   British issue Para wings  

British issue Para wings   British issue Para wings  

British issue Para wings   British issue Para wings  

Default re: British issue Para wings

Jerry B where are you?....

Both are post war 1960's onwards.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade how can you tell?

Wartime issue wings have a horizontal thread stitch pattern to the light blue thread used on the wings. Later Postwar 1960's onwards will always have a slanted pattern stitch.

Also the backing on the lower ones is synthetic.

Shown below are some wartime wings from my collection.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British issue Para wings   British issue Para wings  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The moth eaten set are the Pegasus militaria copies and would almost certainly have been aged to make them look more convincing IMHO. The fat strings on the parachute and the large bumps in the middle of the upper wing feathers are typical of them. The other set as Ade posted are fairly modern issue.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, I can see where you are coming from, but the set on the brassard are original just post war. Have another look at the stitching.

This is a pair of the repro wings made and sold as such by my good mate Steve Kiddle from Pegasus Militaria.

Cheers, Ade

ade would I be wrong by saying they did not wear brassard in ww2.?

Hi Harry, generally speaking brassard is really a post war concept.

I have seen one I did feel was original though.

Cheers, Ade.

How many different ww2 variations of the wing are known? i have seen loads of different type never knew what to look for etc better idea now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast