Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British Para pics

Article about: Hi Ade where did the commemoration take place ?? Is one of the vets wearing a 7 Para Bn badge ?

Default Re: British Para pics

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Phillip, the pics are indeed taken in Greece.

Cheers, Ade.
    I would say that the rear view of girls with rifles are from the disputed Trieste area and that they are part of Tito"s partisans. John.

Hi Guy, show your friend this clip in colour of 2nd Indep Para Brigade jumping in Greece, he may recall it?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fO98uuxVeg

Cheers, Ade.

?

So he must have been in 4, 5 or 6 Para ?

Excellent photos it's nice to see some private British combat shots
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Great link Ade there's nothing as exiting as a drop , luckily it wasn't a hot DZ !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

From his medals it looks like he went "all the way" with his Bn, Africa ,Italy,France and Germany and GSM with a Palestine Bar

1st July 1916

Hello Ade,
    The film was amazing, some scenes even looked as some of the pictures could have been 'stills' from the film.
    Thanks for that, I will be contacing Pete soon and hoping he may give me some more info. I'll download the film to a cd disk which I can show him and if he would like it I can give the cd to him. Do you mind if I use your film clips to do this. I don't want to infringe on any copyright?
    Very best wishes,
    Guy.

Thanks for those pictures i always love to see privately own pictures of vet .

Frenchy

Hi Guy, glad you liked the film clip. Not my film, but don't worry about copyrite in this case.

Some of the Vets I know of the 1st Indep. Pathfinder Platoon fought in Greece. They said it was a very dirty war. The Communist Partizans first welcomed them as friends. But within weeks they were fighting one another as a civil war erupted around them. I have heard tales of women and children used as human shields etc. They said it was worse than fighting the Germans. I have shown a photo somewhere on the forum of the Brit Paras with the partizans.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guy, I have re sized the pics and added some to your original posts. They were HUGE, that was your problem.

Please ask Pete if he fought with 2nd Indep. Parachute Brigade in the South of France? Also has he been to any reunions there? I am certain I know his face.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade,
    Pete goes to a reunion in France every year. In the document that I'm copying at the moment there's a picture of him with two re-enactors. He started in the London Rifles, then the Army Air Corps, in early 43 was deployed as part of 4th Battalion. then sent to Africa, Iran, then deployed to Tunis where 1st Airborne div and 1st Army amalgamated. Next sent to Italy, (Taranto), much action including Monte Cassino. In 1944 he dropped into Southern France. They liberated Le Muy with the Americans. Sept 44 sent to Rome, fought through Greece and on to Yugoslavia. Then back to Greece where embroiled in the Civil War. He had one months home leave then sent to Palestine 1n 1946, he signed on for another two years. He was de-mobbed in 1948.
    That's a very brief resume of the document, there's much more info which you will see as soon as I get it to you.
    Thanks for your help with the first pictures, I can't seem to get my head round sizing them yet.
    All best, have a good Christmas,
    Guy.

Hi Guys, I have met Pete before. Guy kindly sent me some more pics. I thought I had met him. In fact, we all got rather drunk together

I have just gone back through my files and found these pics. They were taken in the South of France in 2005 during the 60th Anniversary celebrations. He is seen here in shirt sleeve order and together with my wife Lez.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Para pics   British Para pics  

British Para pics   British Para pics  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast