Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Parachute Regiment Cap Badge with King's Crown (pre 1953)

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I picked up this one today and I think it is a good one amongst the multitude of fakes. Experts say that the WWII badges had lugs rather than sliders (this one has flat

Default British Parachute Regiment Cap Badge with King's Crown (pre 1953)

Good afternoon gents,

I picked up this one today and I think it is a good one amongst the multitude of fakes.

Experts say that the WWII badges had lugs rather than sliders (this one has flat lugs) although post-war and pre 1953 examples with sliders are known.

The fakes have obvious (if you know) failings and this one doesn't. It isn't steel but does seem to be nickle (not nickle plated brass).

I was looking for a Ludlow made piece which this one doesn't seem to be but I think it may be by Gaunt of London.

It has very little wear which is also unusual for these as users tended to polish them to a very shiny and smooth appearance.

As usual, all comment and opinion is appreciated;

British Parachute Regiment Cap Badge with King's Crown (pre 1953)British Parachute Regiment Cap Badge with King's Crown (pre 1953)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Farnham?

Yep
    Were you there today?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Didn’t go in the end....I wanted to go to hook up with Jon Mills (he was planning to be “signing” there) but it was such a ‘orrible day I decided not to......’good?

Quote by Composite View Post
    Didn’t go in the end....I wanted to go to hook up with Jon Mills (he was planning to be “signing” there) but it was such a ‘orrible day I decided not to......’good?
    Not bad at all really. The last one was poor I think because it was icy and numbers were down both in dealers and punters.

Today both were back up with a few empty tables but a good selection of all the interesting stuff. Didn't see many non TR headgear though so you might not have found it so great. It is one of my favourite fairs in the south-west (ish) though as the selection is always very varied. The weather was actually not much to write home about (I originate from the Pennines area of Lancashire where the weather is a very important factor in decision making!!) and I think "Storm Freya" has turned out to be a bit of a squall!
    If you are going next time give me a nod and if it is on my "itinery" I'll stand you a brew!

Mark

PS It just dawned on me "Badges on Battledress" I didn't see anyone doing a book signing even in the room where the book dealers mostly are or I would have probably grabbed a copy!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-03-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: PS

It is from tge gaunt die, the blobs in four places show that, a fine original.

Good luck finding a Ludlow.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Very nice.

I sold a Ludlow example back in Nov.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!